Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luck on the Hoh River in WA

Default Luck on the Hoh River in WA

Bruce Slightom and Rick Jorgensen where up north fishing with guides Ed Ward and Jerry French last week.

www.speywater.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000163 (2) copy.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	2780  
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Now thats a HOG, good job Bruce!

Default trip details

Left a week ago Friday mid-day and drove to Kelso. Up at 3 AM and was knocking on Bruce’s trailer door in Forks at 7:30. We headed out to fish on the upper Bogachiel in the park. Fished a few great runs and Bruce managed to hook a big fish on the dangle but it pulled loose – I hate those grabs on the dangle!!!

Next day we met Jerry French for two days of guiding on the Hoh. Ed Ward tagged along on the two days – truly great experience – casting and winter fishing techniques from two of the best!!!!! First morning on the Hoh:

Gorgeous water - reminded me of a larger version of Redwood Creek and the lower Mattole. We were definitely in rain forest country - awesome trees:

It was great fishing with two of the best - great pointers throughout the trip - here are two clips - first is Ed casting and second is Bruce casting and fishing a great run:

No fish that day but just a great day all around - heavy rain at times but after all this is Twilight Country!!! Last light:

Next day we did a bit shorter drift targeting softer water. Shawn in a previous post is right - it seems all the fly fishing guys drifting were indicator guys - we saw a few swinging flies but no one else in any of the boats - you can imagine that Ed had some thoughts on this!! In fact he managed to hook a nice fish while we were doing the shuttle in front of the indicator boats who were also staging at the put-in - got it to the bank but it came unbuttoned.

Now this is a swinging fly - Jerry ties incredible intruders.

I hooked a fish on this fly but it was on the DAMN dangle and I got a couple of heavy head shakes and a big splashy boil before it pulled loose!!

But the fish Bruce hooked was awesome - see Bill's post above. After talking to Jerry he thought it was a 20#+ fish - he said it was the second largest fish he had ever had his hands on!!! And Bruce did a great job bringing that fish to hand in so very tough conditions - major log jams and no place to chase it!! The log jams on that river are really amazing - river is very unstable and changeable!!

Next day Shawn Kempkes was gracious to take us on a float on the lower Bogachiel - pretty different conditions from the Hoh - more rocky bottom.

Here is Shawn's pontoon:

No fish but a great day - here is Shawn casting on a great run

Last light on the Bogachiel and Bruce laying out a great cast:

Next day I fished the lower Hoh for a few hours then chased Bruce down to Tillamook for our next adventure. Great shot of the Olympic Mountains:

Next morning we met Scott to go fish the Trask. I don't think there are any trips I look forward to more than our trips with Scott! He more than anyone has taught me more about skagit casting and winter fishing techniques. He does not just sit by but is always critically watching your and giving out pointers - Your anchor did not land close enough; you did nto let the fly swing all the way into the bank; and my all time favorite: "HARDER!!!!!" when my casting goes to hell and I try too hard!!!

We have finally got Scott to occasionally fish with us and he managed to pick our pockets hooking a gorgeous fish coming in behind us!!!

The run we did on the Trask has some pretty heavy white water and a portage

Clip going down a run:

Getting ready for a portage:

And a clip of the portage:

Some great trees down in this area too:

Hooked one small one-year fish - reminded me of the hot small fish on the Klamath:

Second day we did a float on the Nestucca - also some great water - managed to hook another small one-year fish but it came unbuttoned at the bank. As always, our trips with Scott are an adventure - towards the end of the day Scott noticed his gear bag with a bunch of reels and equipment was missing so we zipped down to the take out and he floated the next reach looking while we worked the shuttle - he then went up to the original float and did that - right near the take out he ran into a single gear guy in a drift boat who had found his bag so all ended well!! Scott's truck at takeout:

You can tell it rains a lot in Oregon and Washington from those pictures.

thanks Rick.......

**I think I am a summer/fall guy now at 66.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

It was a great trip, I was up there for about a week before Rick showed up. I got to fish two days and the rains came and the snow level went up so the rivers were blown out. I did get to fish the Sol Duc before the high water and got to swing a Sol Duc Spey in some of the runs that Syd Glasso fished.

With the rains I hiked and explored some of he area, which would not have happened if the rivers were in shape.

Getting to fish with Ed Ward was the cherry on the sunday of the trip. He really is the Skagit Master. Maybe one of the most thought provoking fishermen I have been around. Jerry French is right there with him and as a guide Rick and I were impressed, we were impressed when we fished with him on the Grande Ronde. Having dinner and hearing the stories that these two have was a lot of fun.

Getting to meet Shawn was a treat, he showed us some great hospitality by rowing our sorry asses down the river.

Trips with Scott are always an adventure.

This trip was a life long dream, I have been reading about these rivers all of my angeling life.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Nice reports guys. I haven't been fishing in months and I have to live through others for the time being.

thanks

Is Scott's Trask fish a hatchery fish? (and a downstreamer?) If so, bummer on both accounts.

Trask does not have a steelhead hatchery, sucks to see hatchery strays spawn there.

it is a hatchery fish - not sure if it was downstreamer but Scott says these fish are from wild fish stock and it would likely spawn in the river. We did consider killing it - Scott wanted some fish - he likely would have had it been a male.

Scott said that it was a "brood stock" fish.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Must be a Wilson River broodstock progeny? Bummer if it spawned in the Trask. Should have bonked it.