Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More on welded loops..............

Default More on welded loops..............

Welded loops are really here to stay and most people love them.

They have evolved a lot over the past few years.

I want to mention something important here about using fly lines that have welded loops.

Do not loop or tie small diameter tippet material directly into the welded loops because it cuts the lines finish.

We recommend that you use a larger diameter butt material for a first section so it does not cut into the line's finish.

This section can be 12" or longer in around 25# test mono.

Knotless tapered leaders are good because they have a larger diameter butt section with a perfection loop in most cases.

In this piece we use a perfection loop to loop into the line's loop.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I learned a trick from Andy B for attaching fine diameter lines to welded loops. Make a surgeons or perfection loop of your fine material and have a piece of Larva Lace threaded onto it. Tighten the material with the larva lace inside the knot on the loop end. Takes a while to get used to it, and/or figure it out. Once you do, you can have a fine, full length, fine diameter leader of braid or anything. Great for nymphing cause the finer line cuts through the water faster. Drawback is you usually have to change leaders to dry fly fish.

That's great info Dan.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

excellent tip!

...or cut the loop off & tie on a permanent mono butt section of 0.019"-0.024" (depending on the fly line diameter)...I have 18" to 24" sections on all my lines.

I trust the braided loops on my shooting heads after I've put two reinforcing whip-finished wraps on them and I have the large welded loop connecting my Rio 0.035" shooting line to my the welded loop on my Skagit Flight Heads.

To each their own depending on their ability and level of skill.

Paul

Default Welded loops

I have some older lines without the loops and I have taken 140 black fly tying thread and make a loop. Tie it off about an inch and finish with head cement. Works great and I have done all my lines like that, even the t-14 sink lines. I have not had one pull apart yet. My .02$

Question Tying Thread Loop....

I'm curious.... First, I take it that you're referring to 140 denier tying thread from your note. When your form the loop, how many strands does it consist of; one or a number of strands Could you describe in a bit more depth how you construct the loop and attach it to your line for us

Thanks for the info.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene View Post
    Welded loops are really here to stay and most people love them.

They have evolved a lot over the past few years.

I want to mention something important here about using fly lines that have welded loops.

Do not loop or tie small diameter tippet material directly into the welded loops because it cuts the lines finish.

We recommend that you use a larger diameter butt material for a first section so it does not cut into the line's finish.

This section can be 12" or longer in around 25# test mono.

Knotless tapered leaders are good because they have a larger diameter butt section with a perfection loop in most cases.

In this piece we use a perfection loop to loop into the line's loop.
    What about a twisted or furled leader at the end of the welded loops?

damn, i thought a welded loop was supposed to make things easier...with this there are just more knots and fragmented sections of line...and you are right back where we started..a line with a butt section tied in...just another gimick to sell to someone...at a rediculous price. I am just glad there are places like Hookhack.com where i can purchase a really good fly line at a fair price..I laugh when i see people spending so much money on crazy gimick lines....they are not designed to catch more fish..only to catch more fishermen..

I think that over 90% of the anglers just use the factory welded loops now.

You do want to use a larger diameter mono to loop into the line loop rather than any really light tippet material because it seems to cut the line finish.

If you are fresh water fishing with tapered leaders and you loop the heavy butt section of the leader into the factory welded loop all is well.

If you are deep indicator fishing where you don't use a tapered leader then it is best if you first loop on a short piece of heavier mono for a butt.

If you are going for over 200 pound tuna and marlin then that is another level of rigging but we have very few fly fishers actually doing that today.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958