Thread: Which rubber sole wading boots?

Default Which rubber sole wading boots?

I'm going to be in Baltimore next week and should have several opportunities to get out and fish the Gunpowder River. Only problem, MD has made the leap to banning felt soles.

Anyone have any insights into their experience with rubbber soles. I'm leaning toward Simms Headwaters or Patagonia Riverwalkers.

Whatever you buy, buy studded, or wear a helmet.

Steve

Yes, studded for sure. I have the Simms Aquastealth, and they've served me well.

Aside: I used to live in Bethesda, and the Gunpowder was my favorite stream. I miss it. If that flyshop in Monkton is still there, check in with them.

I think it is. Backwater Angler?

If you have the time and opportunity, Conowago Creek by Gettysburg is a good stream (catch and release section...adopted by Adams Co. TU). I will be passing thru BWI next week too ...going to Hanover (PA) to see daughter and grandson. Hope you have a fun safe trip.

Hi Woodman. I don't know if you have the problem of wide feet as I do, but I couldn't get a good fit (guess when you have been on your feet this many years they spread!). Just fished some Chota Middle Fork Wading shoes for tubing and surf Friday. The fit is great, for me, and they are really comfortable. The studs come separately but are available. Very reasonably priced.

Default Simms Freestones?

Woodman:

I've been wearing Simm's Freestones with the new star rubber bottom for a season now and have really liked them. From what I read from others, rubber has not been well received but I can't recommend these boots more highly, they are comfortable, exceptionally durable and affordable. I spend a couple hundred days a year wading some of the most challenging rivers in the state, the Upper Sac, McCloud and Pit and found the in stream grip better out of the box than my felt soles that were half worn. They are noticeably grippier on shore than felt.

The past several seasons I have worn out a pair of felt soles in a hundred twenty five days or so but these boots are still going strong at twice that time. Most folks add the new star cleats for improved grip but I have not as I do not like cleats on shore where a fall can put me out of work. My only complaint is the added weight of rubber over felt which is a bit more tiring on long hikes and more dangerous should you float your hat.

Enjoy your trip. I'll be looking for your report when you return. Do let us know how your new boots perform!

PS I always wade with a staff and provide them for all our guests.
    Craig Nielsen

Out of the box, the Simms Vibram Rivertread sole is 10X better than the POS Cloudveil 8X model shoe with the "Grippy" Vibram rubber sole...after I spent a day slipping, sliding, and holding onto either the driftboat or a wading staff for dear life, I put aluminum hex-headed sheetmetal screws in the Cloudveil's soles to save the rest of the trip... and while they still slipped, the screws held enough so I could actually fish...I bought the Cloudveils at a shop closeout for $30 and they weren't worth the price.

When I got to Bozeman, my first stop was at a shop to get the Simms boots...even though the Simms' soles didn't slip, I've added their carbide studs (no need for the Star Cleats yet!) since that trip in June of 2010 and they continue to work almost as well as studded felts.

Invest in a stout wading staff with any pair of rubber soled wading shoes.

Paul
    Last edited by pgw; 04-18-2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: more !@#$%^&* about Cloudveil