Thread: Upper Sac Report

Default Upper Sac Report

After being sick in bed all week it was nice to get up and out for a couple hours of fishing. Flows on the Upper Sac have dropped and stabilized and while the flows are a bit higher than the norm, the river is in great shape. So are the fish! I got out late in the afternoon, a bit after prime hatch time and noticed a few splashy rises to perhaps the tail end of the BWO hatch? There were also a few March Browns on the water, and some small dark winter stones and spring caddis in the air.

I fished a couple runs on the upper river, got a few grabs on a Birdsnest and Micromay tandem nymphed deep and one ldr before heading to mid river to some runs that typically hold pods of fish. A few more grabs, a few more ldr's (my hookset seemed a bit rusty!) and a chunky foot long Rainbow to hand. Lost a very nice fish hooked in the tailout when it decided to visit the run downstream.

The last run of the day was incredible, I switched to a Rubber Legs and Flashback PT combo and hooked fish every other cast, again landing only a few as these fish were big and strong and when they got out in heavy current it was hard to turn them. Two more big fish lost and then another smaller one in the teens to hand. A great preview for what I expect to be a very good spring season! Drop a line if you are headed this way.
    Craig Nielsen

So if a guy were going to Ashland to see a play and happened to be going by that area of the Upper Sac in the next 2 days, what would be a likely exit for a "strech the legs - one more cast"?

Default Upper Sac stretch your legs spots

We've had some good luck recently off the Simms, Castella and Soda Creek exits which have easy access to the river from the freeway. For more detail give a ring, happy to share all I can.

Good luck, have a safe trip!
    Craig Nielsen