Thread: Advice on a 4/5 switch rod

Default Advice on a 4/5 switch rod

I'm looking to get a 4 or 5 weight switch mainly for trout and half pounders, in the $500 and under price range. I'm mainly eyeing the Echo TR 4 wt and the beulah classic 4/5... any feedback on light switch rods in this price range and line recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Default Visit Kiene's Spey Shop...

Line recs are there...
    They are both good but slightly different- as they should be...
    Choose either one of these modestly priced rods, learn to use it and go from there!
    There are no bad rods being manufactured- otherwise, the manufacturer disappears- both of these companies make excellent quality equipment.
    Beulah Classic is just that- a little soft but oh so powerful with a relaxed casting stroke
    Echo TR is faster in action and a true joy to cast...
    I like them both and can't recommend one over the other...
    The caster brings out the best and the worst in both of them!!!
    Just pick one and learn how to use it!!!!!!!!
    (I sincerely recommend trying each one head-to-head and then purchasing your favorite if the opportunity exists...)
    Don

Default Anderson Custom Rods?

Kobestopper:

You might want to also consider Gary Anderson's Rods. His basic finish is in your price range and the rods are terrific, they are the favorites with folks who fish with us.

The rods we use also come with a companion butt section that converts them into a single hand 10', two rods for the price of one! On these rods Gary uses a single hand designation so the rods are six and seven weights.

The advice to cast rods side by side is a good one. Kiene's has the largest selection around and the expertise to match the rods with the correct lines. Visit them if you get the chance.
    Craig Nielsen

Default 4/5 SW Rod

Bryce here,
    Beulah fly rod rep. If you can, please joing me at Gristmill tomorrow(Friday 22), Beulah will be there from 2-7 & you can cast our classic & platinum 4/5 & 5wt SW rods that are both under $500. Also, I can answer and show you the diffrence between each of the rods.
    Also, I will be at the Kienes BBQ, not as good as food of a venue to test but I can stilll work with you on the diffrences & benefits of a Beulah Fly Rod.
    Hope to see you out there!

Thumbs up Echo SR SR4106-4 is an excellent rod

Tim R. let me try this rod at the recent Speyorama.

It worked well with the line Timmy recommended.

However, it really performed with the combo line Steve Godshall sliced and diced for my Meiser 5/6 Switch rod. I used Steve's running line which are basically my running/shooting lines of choice.

Be careful not over load the rod with too long of a poly leader. Timmy recommended 5' Air Flo, and I used my Rio 7' Versi intermediates and a size 4 fly with the barb removed and it really worked.

I tried the rod out setting down re possible use in a Kayak, and I got 40-50' on snap casts and about 60' standing up with the snap casts. Standing up with an overhead/hand cast I added 20' to the casts.

I have both Bob Meiser and Gary Anderson switch rods and a Sage Switch rod, and this rod's performance was comparable.

Timmy could have hunted for small game on the opposite side of the casting ponds with this rod, his line or mine.

The good news is the price of $329 at Bill's shop with a life time guarantee. Timmy's new reels are very reasonable and balance the rod well.