Thread: Kelly Galloup is the streamer guy for trout streams

Default Kelly Galloup is the streamer guy for trout streams

I had a nice phone conversation last week with top trout guide Kelly Galloup, who also owns the Slide Inn Lodge on the Madison River in Montana.

I told him I wanted to get some info from him about his streamer fishing system.

Kelly has been sharing his knowledge of streamer fishing for trout in moving water for years now.

First, he has lots of great instructional DVDs. He recomends his "Advanced Streamer Fishing" @ $29.95 if you are getting just one.

His leader system is simple: 12" 20# (butt) and 18" of 12# (tippet).

Has developed his own special streamer flies that are now commercially available now too.

http://www.slideinn.com/blog/

He worked this year with Scientific Angler to develop some special Master series Streamer Expess 50' head lines for throwing big streamers for trout in rivers.

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lin...ress-long.html

He also worked with St.Croix this year to develop a couple of rods that are suited for this type of fly fishing, the 'Bank Robber' series. They have a #6 weight and a 7 weight rod in 9' in 4 piece.

http://www.affta.com/media-center/ne...bber-fly-rods/

We will have all of Kelly's products available at our fly shop in Sacramento.

As far as teaching serious streamer fishing for trout in rivers goes, Kelly Galloup is the man....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Local Poster's Sone on the Slide Inn Website

If you go into Kelly's website, you can view a photo of a local flyfisher and son of a Kiene's poster with his a-typical Brown Trout caught on a salmon fly.

Paul

He has a show here in the bay area on TV that is on Monday morning. Look for it on Versus Fly Fish TV/ w Kelly Gallop

Hey I know that kid. We have been using Kelly's lines for several years now. He gave Joey a prototype line 3 years ago. We casted the new rods a the ISE Sac show and hung out with Kelly. I think Joeys favorite flies are the Circus Peanut and Sex Dungeon. Kelly said he won't teach him how to tie the sex dungeon until he is 16 and so far he has kept to his word. Kelly has a lot of new patterns and some old reborn in articulated versions. I have to admit that Joey is light years ahead of me when it comes to streamer fishing.

Here's a little brown Joey picked up as he was batting clean up behind me. I missed him on the Salmon Dry and Joey got him on the Circus Peanut.

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Default Sex Dungeon

I think he should wait until he's 18 yrs to go to the Sex Dungeon.

Bill, are you going to have his six wt lines available to test drive down at watt?

Russell

Kelly is a really nice guy. I know Russ Madden ( the guy that designed the Circus Peanut ) He worked at the Riverbend Sport Shop in Michigan when I worked there... The guy could flat out fish! He was one of those "crazed" fly tiers that has a unique way of looking at things. He loved throwing big streamers for fish!

I'm glad to see you will be carrying his stuff!
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Cool Nymphing by the Numbers

Galloup's DVD "Nymphing by the Numbers" flat out changed the way I fish. He's not just a streamer guy. His dead drift nymphing techniques and rigging approaches just make so much sense. Check out that video if you have the chance.

- Rick.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I am haunted by waters." ~ Norman Maclean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly helped Scientific Angler design a new nymph line too.

We carry all the lines that Kelly designed for SA.

Streamer Express Floater - for throwing big flies

Streamer Express Long -extremely fast sinking 50 foot head.

Kelly Galloup Nymph line - he says it's the best indictor nymphing line out there.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........