Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wtb fly line backing

Default wtb fly line backing

gel spun or dacron 20-30lb , 200-600 yds

i have a brand new spool somewhere. i'll look.

Quote Originally Posted by arrow1347 View Post
    gel spun or dacron 20-30lb , 200-600 yds
    I have two spools of Spectra, each spool is 150yds, 30# and moss green, PM if interested, Shipping from Easton, PA..............Ed

I've found some good deals on e-bay... Woodstock brand...pretty reasonable compared to cortland....Backing costs now what lines used to

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Consider the new Suffix 832...... Great stuff at that price point and nobody can compete with it, etc. If you grow to understand the composition of gel-spun, you'll realize just how good Suffix 832 is at that price point.

As an aside, you're very fortunate to need 200 to 600 yards of backing! The fish I usually catch rarely ever get on the reel!

Default backing

salmon and steelhead make long runs. and some of the big brown trout in the delaware river also make long runs.

Default Time to have some fun

salmon and steelhead make long runs. and some of the big brown trout in the delaware river also make long runs.
    Junior member here, Senior member of the hard core Big-D FFC, over twenty five years on this large famous N.E. Blue Ribbon, and nearly 100 days on the water in some of those. I can vouch for arrow1347, signs should be posted at all entrances to the pools, " Attn Flyfisherman: mucho backing highly suggested"

Many times I have seen good flyfishermen spooled by a Big-D Trout, known to the hardcores as Guided Missles or F-14s, when one decides to leave the pool there is no amount of backing that will help, heavy tippets won't turn them either! You will most likely see the bugger jumping about a football field away downstream and if you don't break off they will take everything on your spool, if your lucky, they find a huge rock and go around it a couple of times before that happens.

Next time in northeastern PA, bring your 9' - 5 or 6wt, they are only 18-20" trout and treat yourself to a chance at our much envied Bows...................................
    Last edited by estuaryboy; 03-30-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Default Backing

Why don't you try Kiene's ...........
    James E Hunter

Good for you. If you happen to try the 832 Suffix I would like to hear your thoughts as far as a backing material..... backing material that actually sees the light of day

As a fishing line that I use for fishing Punkers, spooks, and such, it's very good, especially at its price point.

Default backing

where can i get suffix 832?