Thread: Bamboo Blanks?

Default Bamboo Blanks?

Hey Guys,I'm interested in building a cane rod. So far the swelled butt #3-#4 T&T or the Scott's have my vote. Does anyone out there know where I can get one of these style blanks? I know this is kind of vague but I'm still researching what I want. any comments would be appreciated.

Default blanks

The people here can help. clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com Personally I can recommend Mike Brooks to build a blank, a kit or a finished rod. Mike is great to deal with and makes some of the best casting cane rods out there. Google his name and you will get his site. Or send a pm for his ph#. Cheers, Paul

Last edited by stanbery; 03-21-2011 at 03:58 AM.

You might give Joe Bradley a call. I know he had a swelled butt 4wt taper that was pretty good. I like the progressive tapers a lot so I'm not sure about the swelled taper. I have two of Joe's rods and really like the quality and his finish is outstanding

http://jlbradleybamboorods.com/
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Default You might also look at

Dennis Stone. He is running a special on blanks until the end of the month.

http://www.stonerodco.com/

You never mentioned your price range but this link should keep you busy for a while.

http://home.teleport.com/~gord/cane/index.html

Good Luck,

Jet

P.S Man those $300-400 furled blanks are pretty tempting with the current price of nano-bot plastic.
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pounder View Post
    Dennis Stone. He is running a special on blanks until the end of the month.

http://www.stonerodco.com/
    Not any personal experience (yet), but he is spoken highly of on Clark's board. Mike Clark of South Creek rods also sells Dennis Stone rods and he would not unless he thought they were good. I will be ordering one or two before the end of the month. Give him a call, nice guy.

I'll echo the recommendatin for Dennis Stone's blanks. His sale runs through the end of the month and can be found in the classified section at the clarks forum referenced earlier. He is building a big steelhead blank for me right now, based on a Gillum light salmon taper. I built a rod from one of his non-ferruled blanks last fall, and it was just fabulous workmanship. Hard to beat his sale price right now for ferruled blanks. Good ferrules will be over $100 for a 3-pc rod, so keep that in mind in figuring the blank costs. Another good source for high quality blanks at good prices is Mark Fitch from Michigan, who sells his on the devil's auction site fairly regularly - often with only one tip, though. I'm just finishing up a 4-wt from one of his 2-tip blanks (a Leonard 39H taper) that was just a piece of art (at least before I started working on it - we'll see when I'm finished in a couple of weeks). Perfectly bookmatched tips. I have not worked with any of the cheaper imported blanks that are also plentiful on the auction site, but with prices from guys like the above not that much more for blanks of consistently high quality, I think I'll continue to support our US rod makers.
    Don C.