Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: custom flies

Default custom flies

who ties custom whistlers or clousers with rattles for stipers?

Question Custom Flies....

Not trying to be flip here but just about anyone who ties those patterns can incorporate a rattle.... Do you know anyone who ties striper flies If not, contact a local shop that has someone who fishes for Stripers and have them tie some up for you. There's been some recent discussion on this subject over on Blanton's BB. You might check that out.

The alternative is to learn how to tie flies. If you haven't already done so, you might find that very satisfying. Of course, you'll probably have to get used to being broke and single as a result.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

iv'e never tried tying before and have looked into some of the tools needed for flytying. its more confusing than fly fishing! lol. with some of those vises ranging from 20.00-300.00 bucks, all the different knick knacks that go with just to start tying. will just the stationary vise work if i were to tie just a clouser or whistler or do i need a rotary one? i'm just looking at the basics to try to start tying striper flies. nothing fancy.

Sorry, I use to but not anymore. Although I know someone who might still tie whistlers but can't think who it is right now. Send me a PM and if my old brain can bring up the name, I'll let you know

Jay

Default Fly Tying....

You won't need a lot of tools or an expensive vice to start. I'd advise locating a local fly fishing club that has members that tie flies. They're usually happy to share their knowledge and maybe'll let you try out their equipment/materials. They may even teach you to tie a Whistler. Then you can decide what type vice is best for you, the tools and materials you'll need for tying....

In the meantime, you can contact Jay or buy some Whistlers to fish with. Not sure where you live but if you're near Sacramento, Kiene's has them in stock most times.
    Last edited by Darian; 03-19-2011 at 09:53 AM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Tony Buzolich does an excellent job of tying striper flys....You can see them on his web site feather-river-fly.com

Default Striper Flies....

I'll second Franks recommendation....

Author unknown

Its a big chocolate milk mess out there right now. So much water, went out yesterday for just the last hour of light. Only good fish came on a black whistler with rattle. If Tony doesn't tie custom let me know I really don't mine sending you a few.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by ssy View Post
    iv'e never tried tying before and have looked into some of the tools needed for flytying. its more confusing than fly fishing! lol. with some of those vises ranging from 20.00-300.00 bucks, all the different knick knacks that go with just to start tying. will just the stationary vise work if i were to tie just a clouser or whistler or do i need a rotary one? i'm just looking at the basics to try to start tying striper flies. nothing fancy.
    In my opinion, the most important aspect of selecting a vise is to make sure it comes from an established, reputable manufacturer versus an import from India. This is especially important when you're talking about tying larger saltwater-sized fly patterns like Clousers and Whistlers.

There are some very good vises available new in the $80 - $130 range, both "true rotary" and regular rotary. As far as tools and supplies, for Clousers and Whistlers, all you'd need are a bobbin holder, a pair of scissors, a bodkin, a spool of Danville Flat-Waxed nylon thread, and a bottle of Sally Hansen's nail polish from Wal Mart to use as head cement.

It is a great hobby that complements fly fishing perfectly -- each makes you better at doing the other in my opinion.
    Last edited by Hairstacker; 03-19-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Custom Flies

Thanks for the endorsements guys. I've sent SSY a PM and will see if I can help him out.
    TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180