Thread: cant mother nature give us steelheaders a break

Default cant mother nature give us steelheaders a break

All im asking is for one or two more outings to swing to some fresh fish in waters that don't require a pfd and safety rope. Is there any hope?

Question Wx Conx....

Spoke to a worker for the local flood control district a couple of days ago. He says all of the long term forecasts look wet (possibly thru the end of March).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

With all of the CV storage reservoirs on hydrological alert (no more excess storage capacity, current snow pack exceeds storage capacity by a large margin) every time a storm is predicted, they will be dumping the amount of the expected rain/snow runoff for future storms. As long as the situation exists, the usually reliable CV rivers for spring steelhead and trout will be unreliable for fishing. With long term weather forecasts showing a wet spring, there ain't gonna be much fishing, so get used to it, and be thankful the drought is over.

Yep. Im sitt'n here for the last steelhead run of the west coast I will be present for. I would love to stick one more fish before I leave this place....just one!

well trinity out of lewiston is 310, but once you hit douglas city its at 1500. There is a slim chance of sticking a fish, but if you are lucky you might, either fresh or downrunner. You could also try Russian near cloverdale, its at 3k, higher up its at 2k, dont know about the viz though. And the stani is at 220 and again slim chance. Not much for steelhead right now. Just sucks all together. Cant guide, cant fish, there are only a few things to do, tie flys for the up coming yr, buy more gear that you dont need and cant use right now, and well.... got to keep it g-rated.

Sit back and enjoy the rain, it is what we need. For me this rain is more inportant than any need to fish.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Yep. Im sitt'n here for the last steelhead run of the west coast I will be present for. I would love to stick one more fish before I leave this place....just one!
    Leaving what place for where, Jay?
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Moving to Wisconsin in June

Yea I guess it is that time of year where we tie a bunch of little fish flies and start thinking
    About the timing of hatches and not of river levels. Its just a bummer to know that this is kind of the tail end of things and reservoirs are full but the rain keeps coming. Hate to talk trash on the trinity but those poor fish have been through hell and back, they are probably intersted in size 20 sparsely dressed midges on 6x at this point. And the russian let's be honest we know she is runnin with chocolate duddy pie visibility. Hopefully some of our coastal stuff will turn around for one last hurrah.

I'm going out to Discovery Park parking lot and swinging some flies.

Might even try fishing the bike trail.......