Thread: Heading to the OP

Default Heading to the OP

Bruce and I are doing something different for our annual spring trip - heading for the Olympic Peninsula - first time for both of us. Actually since he is retired he is already up there - the past week but is getting hammered by heavy rain!!! I take off late Friday, arriving Saturday - we have 2 days booked with Jerry French (you may recognize him from the SkagitMaster videos). Bruce and I first met Jerry last fall on the Grand Ronde where he was one of the guides when Mike and Ed could not make it. He is an incredible fly tier - awesome intruders!!!!

http://frenchsflyfishing.com/default.aspx

I think Ed is down with him so hope that he will join us fishing! I have always wanted to fish the Hoh and the Sol Duc!

After that, we head down the coast for our usual adventure around Tillamook and hook up for 2 days with Scott O'Donnell. Looks like all the storms are finally letting up up there so we may be ok river stage wise - I am keeping my fingers crossed!!!

rivers are punched big time. The Solduc behind my house is spewing mud something that rarely happens and trees are coming down the hoh. The weather forcast calls for showers http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi
    which will help the rivers drop some. probably sunday will be a go. If you want to know some places to fish shoot me a pm.

The fishing has been very good this year.
    Last edited by shawn kempkes; 03-16-2011 at 01:48 PM.

I've found the Sol Duc to have a beautiful, deep translucent green color and the Hoh a beautiful translucent steel blue/grey color from the clay banks when the water is dropping into fishable condition. Hope the weather cooperates a bit for you so you get to fish them in prime condition!
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Sounds awesome! I'm going to be up touring University of Washington and Seattle University around April 8th for my spring break and am heading over to the OP after to fish it for a couple days with my spey rod.

Will I catch a steelhead? 99% chance no haha, but will i fish with confidence? yes i will!

WOuld be cool to go with a guide, but 300+ for one day is just too much unfortunately, but I'm still excited to be able to say I fished one of those legendary rivers with a two hander!

Good Luck..take lots of a pics!

-Steelie-Stalker

Shawn - sent you a PM - hope we can get together up there
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    Shawn - sent you a PM - hope we can get together up there
    R
    i pmd you my phone number