Thread: steelhead set up

Default steelhead set up

I am going up to Oregon to fish for steelhead in about a month. I have never fly fish for steelhead. i have caught a few steelheads on conventional equipment but want to try it on with a fly rod.

what is a good beginner 4 piece set up? i prefer not to spend no more than $300. It does not matter to me if it is used or new. If anyone has one that they want to depart me with, let me know as well.

thanks for you input!

I just bought a winston passport 4 pc 8 wt for 200$. It will be my airline travel rod and doesn't break the bank. It cast pretty darn good too with a Rio steelhead taper line on it. I am using a matched Daniellson (formely Loop) reel. The reel might be above your budget but there are a lot of 100$ reels out there that would work just fine. Good luck and tell us what you end up with.

check out the echo solo spey rods they retail for 229 or I like the redington cpx 10 ft 7 wt
    for 299.

For single-handed fly fishing for winter Steelhead you need around a #7 weight rod for indicator nymphing.

For throwing larger flies on a sink-tip line you might like a #8 line rod.

Lengths from 9 to 10 feet are popular.

You could buy a #7 Switch rod?

The Rio multi-tipped Versi-tip single hand line might be good because you have 4 different 15 foot sink-tips that you can change out quickly.

I think you get a floater, clear slow sinking, type 3 and type 6 sink in a zippered wallet.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Here are a few rods to look into. Theses are some that I would recommend if you are on a budget. Then also the one that I use on all steelhead rivers in Sac Valley, including the Trinity River. There are few steelhead rods forsale in the classifieds right now.

Redington RS4 10ft 7wt $220 new
    Redington Pursuit 10ft 7wt $120 new
    TFO Professional 10ft 7wt $195 new
    TFO Jim Teeny 10ft 7wt $225 new

This is what I use when I am steelheading
    Redington CPX Switch 10'6" 6wt Switch $350 new
    Either a Rio switch 5/6 or 6/7 switch line works awesome on this rod. As well as a Rio 8wt Indicator line.

Many other rod manufactures out there too. Hope this helps a little bit.