Thread: Can I get some help on shooting head/sink tips/sinking lines for S Oregon?

Default Can I get some help on shooting head/sink tips/sinking lines for S Oregon?

Hey guys! I have appreaciated all your help in the past, and I am grateful for the knowledge that resides here. I am heading to Oregon in 1 month to hit the Rogue and the North Umpqua for some late winter steelheading. I have a guide for a couple days and he has given me some advice on what kind of line I need (for an 8wt rod). The only problem is that I don't have any experience in shooting heads, sink tips, sinking lines. I am not sure what to buy, how to rig it up and what the different numbers are. He suggested T-12 or T-14 or Type IV through XIII...ummmm...say what? I assume that T-12 was suppose to be T-11 and along with T-14 are RIO shooting heads (correct?). So if I get that in 30ft sections, what do I connect it to? I assume it's not directly to backing. I went to Orvis over the weekend and they had sinking link that was Type V, but nothing all the way up to Type XIII. They did have some stuff called depth charge...but I can't afford to pick up 3-4 different lines at $79 a pop...ouch!! So, all you veteran, crazy, awesome steelhead dudes (and dudettes)...if I had enough to purchase one, maybe two lines, what would I need? Thanks...it's still so foreign to me!

Schurmo

Default One month from now would be April 14th...

Every year is different but for most years, the winter steelhead season is winding down by mid-April and you may be targeting some dark downstreamers, post-spawn.
    Who is your guide?
    Some of the guys know some places and tricks but for sure, it is the time of year when things are on the downswing for winter fish. New summer fish begin to appear in June...
    No, you don't need 30' of T-"anything". Buy a Skagit head that is recommended for the rod you own for ~ $50, a MOW 10' and 12' tungsten sink tip that matches your 8 wt, Medium, T-11, casts more easily, Heavy, T-14 plops out there but works if it is windy. I'm not sure if you have a single or double hand rod but the advice applies regardless- a single hand rod usually casts best with ~ a 400 grain Skagit head whereas a double hand or Spey rod requires ~ 550 grain Skagit head. Maybe you should call your guide and talk to him again!

I hope you find decent fish and I sincerely hope you hook up!!!

(By the way, I caught the first steelhead of my life on the Rogue, April 3, 1995 on the swing with a single hand #7 Sage RPL, a Scientific Anglers 13' Type IV sink tip/integrated line and egg-sucking leech...)

Don
    Last edited by Don Powell; 03-14-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Hey Schurmo,
    If you have a single handed-rod (standard 9' 8 weight), then it sounds like your guide is recommending you have a few different 30' sink tips (like the Rio Max II) from slow sink (type III) up to fast sink (type VIII). I've never heard of type 13, but maybe he meant lead core line, LC-13? At any rate, you should get a floating running line and attach that to your backing. Then the different sink tips just connect to your running line with a loop to loop connection. For your 8-weight, I think you'd want something like a 250 or 300 grain sink tip. Maybe some other folks who have them will let you know the exact weight.

Let us know what rod you have and people can give you better advice that way.

If you have a spey rod, then do just what Don said.

Check on the classifieds for running line and shooting heads. There is often someone selling them there.

mike

Thanks so much for the response guys!! I do have a 2-piece single handed 9ft rod. I assume a running line just means a normal float line. And I would attach some sink tips to that? Like the RIO Max II stuff you suggested? And sorry for my ignorance, but what is MOW? Thanks again guys!!

Schurmo

Buying 4 license from now on via Clarkston, WA

Your guide should have a couple set ups for you to use, might be the best way to go.
    Not unless round's funny!?!

Yeah, he will for the days we go out, but we will also be exploring the Rogue for a couple days on our own, so I want to make sure we have the right gear. I found what MOWs are, but everything I am finding online at The Fly Shop seems to be for spey rods. Do they make MOWs for single handed rods? I can't believe how many freaking options there are!! Geesh, time to do some more homework!

Schurmo

Okay, some of this stuff is making sense now! So, one more question, would it be better for me to go with something like the Rio MAX II shooting heads or the Tungsten T-11 line. Is one any better than the other? Thanks again...your help is invaluable.

Heres what you do. Use the guides gear and find out what you like and works best for you. The next morning jet on down to the Ashland Fly Shop and see my buddy Will Johnson. He has everything youll need. Buy ONLY what you need. If you stock up now, you will inevitably end up with stuff you dont need, and your garage will be on its way to looking like mine /-:

Now, if your goal is to catch fish, just bring a good weightforward floater and a selection of indicators. You wont need anything else.

Buying 4 license from now on via Clarkston, WA

Jbird, best advice yet! Do this schurmo.

Me
    Not unless round's funny!?!

Thanks for all your help guys! A lot of great advice here. I think I got exactly what I need. I apprecaite everyone's time and advice!!

I hope to be able to post some pics of an epic Oregon trip and have finally caught my first steelie! (and King as well). I am totally stoked!