Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR up to 15,000 cfs Tonight 03-14-2011

Default AR up to 15,000 cfs Tonight 03-14-2011

American River water flows to nearly double tonight
    By Cathy Locke
    clocke@sacbee.com
    Published: Monday, Mar. 14, 2011 - 2:48 pm
    Last Modified: Monday, Mar. 14, 2011 - 2:54 pm
    The federal Bureau of Reclamation has announced that between 5 and 7 p.m. today releases from Folsom Dam to the lower American River will be increased from 8,000 to 15,000 cubic feet per second for flood control management.

The releases will remain at 15,000 cfs until further notice.

People recreating in or along the lower American River downstream of Folsom Dam to the Sacramento River are advised to take precautions during periods of high river flows.

The planned releases are in keeping with requirement set by the Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency flood protection agreement, according to a Bureau of Reclamation news release.

Daily information on expected flows in the American River is available on the California Data Exchange Center website or the US Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento office website.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/03/14/347...#ixzz1GcFftUTq

Wow, that's a lot of water.

Interesting photo and caption too.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Just took a look at the AR at Watt, the island below the bridge is just about underwater. It looked like the water had been recently higher judging from the debris line on the ramp.

John Senos es un hombre modelo! Too bad they don't have a picture of someone flossing.

Yah... there's some Karma...

"%$#& fishes the SPAWNING BEDS"

What a claim to fame eh?

Default 15,000-20,000 cfs

Just received email it is going up to 20,000 today.
    Won't be on the A for a while. Hopefully the green
    slime on the bottom will all be flushed away.

Thanks for the heads up about the flow change.

Only one spot to fish at 15k cfs this morning! Water actually cleared and doubled visibility from yesterday. Weird. I'm pretty sure it won't be fishable at all at 20k cfs, at least at Sailor Bar.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Hey Ron,

If you know where to cross you can fish the point at 20k. I was out there between 17k and 20k fishing the point. It isnt easy wading, but very worth it. No one has the juevos to wade on the bar at those flows. Thats fine with me. U could use the boat to get out there or a float tube. There is a nice dump in of water into the bay that will hold fish, and the seam off the point is killer.

Yup. Started to get there today, but I didn't want to have to spend the energy coming back against the current! Lazy, I know. I'll take the boat tomorrow to make it out there... much easier since it's at 21k now.

Had two hookups on chrome bright fish, finally. Both 5-6lbs, but it's a good sign. One on Sunday and one on Monday. Subtle, nipping tugs, nothing heart stopping. And nothing this morning. I bet I'll hook a good one tomorrow. There's only so many places they can be!
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Hate to invite myself, but Ill be out there tomorrow too. When you going. Maybe we can meet up and row eachother around the bar area. I definitly need to get out, besides i got another switch line i need to test out on one of my rods.