Thread: Caltrans To Shut Down Highway 50 For Two Weeks This Spring

Default Caltrans To Shut Down Highway 50 For Two Weeks This Spring

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Getting to South Lake Tahoe will get a little tougher for two weeks this spring when Caltrans shuts down Highway 50 at Echo Summit for two weeks.
    Caltrans is closing the highway to replace the old rock wall with a new barrier that meets current safety standards. The two week closure will take place in late April or early May depending on the weather. The plan is to begin at the soonest possible date after April 15 once there is a ten-day clear weather window.

Caltrans has set up a website www.way2tahoe.com with information on the project including alternate routes. Caltrans says the detour adds about 35 miles to the trip to Tahoe and “is a wonderful opportunity to tour the historic Gold Country of El Dorado and Amador Counties.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

When there was a slide (14 years ago?) that closed 50, the detour route from 50 was out of Pollock Pines, over Mormon Emigrant Trail to Hwy 88, 88 to Hwy 89 at Hope Valley, and then Luther Pass to Meyers...the good news about the detour then...when I hit it, I was headed for the Carson (and other waters on that side of the hill) for some September fishing.

Paul

Default Gotta' Love the MET

Things I've learned in life.

( # 40,107 ) Coming down the MET on a bike is a whole lot more fun than getting up it.

Default Forget MET

The upper end of MET is @ the 6,000 to 7,000 ft elevation and no agency is finding it in their budget to plow the snow from the roadway. Not to mention the locked gate and snow berm at the snow park at the Hwy. 88 end.

Mike O Guest

IMHO, that orta be a good time to get up to the SFA, Silver Fork, and other South Tahoe/Hwy 88/Hwy89(S)/Hwy 395 fisheries which are open in the winter (E. Carson, E. Walker, Hot Creek. Runoff may not have started full force yet (hopefully) and what few crowds come up that time of year should be lessened by the drives, although I usually take MIT to those destinations anyway.

What are your thoughts???