Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it really that dismal out there?

Default Is it really that dismal out there?

Okay, this is weird, and I really, really don't want to have this thread take off in a negative direction, but I'm having a hard time determining which year has been my worst year steelheading our Californian rivers, and unless things change quickly soon, I'm thinking it's this year beating last year barely beating out the year before!

In years past I've always been able to scramble out a few fish no matter the conditions just by putting in the time. Tough, few and far between, but always that tug, that fight, that fish that keeps you coming back for more.

But I just spent another twenty hours this week on the Amercian, mostly in the morning, some evenings and some twice a day morning and evening fishing with intensity swinging flies that have always produced in the past. The hatchery staff say this year was a good return, both numbers and size. Huh? I'm not seeing it. Maybe they all booked home already?

Personally, I love fishing big water. The American around 7500cfs rocks for me. Water conditions have been ideal, not too cold, a little color, stretches of stable levels for the most part and I'm fishing some awesome lairs. It's the type of water steelhead love to hang out in! If there are fish in the river, I'm swinging over their couches. I have no complaints. Weather has varied from rain, overcast, low clouds, sun, little wind. Again, ideal.

But two takes, one landed fishing awesome water/weather conditions?

Got desperate, broke down and swung my Little Cleo from a spinning rod through the same water. That's my "are they there" barometer. Nothing!

I'm always willing to travel a bit if it was better elsewhere, but I'm not sure it's worth traveling to the Trinity/Klamath/Eel/Mad/Van Duzen/Russian/Smith? Seems only the Chetco is having a decent return... of hatchery fish, but that's an eight hour drive to catch a farm animal!

What's a steelheader to do? Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Optimism anyone?
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Read a good book....Steelhead Dreams by Matt Supinski... Very interesting about East Coast Steelhead.... They have year round fishing and the interesting thing is they did it with our West Coast fish....

You won't know unless you go... and those who know aren't about to say so.
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Ron,

The American can be a tough nut to crack sometimes. I think a lot of fish shoot up when water is around and unless you're up high it can be tough catching. Personally I don't fish up river as I'd rather stay away from spawning and the crowds and I think other than that it's kind of like being in the right place at the right time. Sure you can see tons of fish working at times but they won't touch a damn thing. I've found a lot of the American River fish to be picky as hell most of the time but if you can figure out what they're feeding on and get a good presentation you'll be rewarded.

I think too the American can be loaded with food sources so the fish can afford to really be picky or they're just keying in on whatever is abundant and nothing much else interests them.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Had a report that very recently someone got two nice fresh Spring-run adults at Watt Avenue.

I guess two weeks ago before the higher water it was very good?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Ron,

I am right with ya this yr. Probably the "SLOWEST" yet. Numbers for me isnt the case, but with clients it is. I havent taken to many on the AR this year because of that. By myself I usually get a tug or 2 when I am out swinging, and for about every 5 tugs I land 1. When I nymph there is a bit more success, in a day I usually hook between 5-8 and landing about half.

As far as the run, it was a decent run, but they all came in at once, unlike last yr where there were several few nice numbered runs throught the yr. This yr wasnt they case, the big numbers all came in with the big flows. Not that there arent any still coming in. I do know there is. Yesterday proved it.

I had a client that was debating Lower Sac or American. Told him if you want steelhead and hook about 5 fish then AR it is, if you want quantity with nice wild trout pushing 20" with the possibility of a few over 20" then the Lower Sac is it. Ofcourse he wanted Steelhead. Hooked a dime bright chromer right off the bat. It looked to be upper 20"fish, he hooked it, it ran up river, the out to the middle of the river, the down river and broke off 2x fluoro. Lower down river we landed a nice 20" wild half pounder. That was the 2 fish hooked from sailor to gristmill. Told him we would go back up to sailor and work that water for another 2hrs before dark. Within an hour hooked 3 landed 1, the one landed was another nice 20" wild half pounder the 2 lost though were bright and mean, not as big as the first one, but mid 20's. One gave him the Speycasting white mouse on his line. It was insane. Cool thing is he wanted to lande 2 steelhead, I wanted to hook atleast 5 fish. He was happier than a waterhead at a water park, and to me thats all that matters. Shoot he hadnt fished for 7months.

So fresh fish yes, winterrun still in yes. Numbers not so much. Just hope with these flows it will bring in more bluebacks this yr. keep them crossed.

A bad day on the water is always a great day at work.

Default not bad in my book

Quote Originally Posted by bclem81 View Post
    As far as the run, it was a decent run, but they all came in at once, unlike last yr where there were several few nice numbered runs throught the yr. This yr wasnt they case, the big numbers all came in with the big flows. Not that there arent any still coming in. ...A bad day on the water is always a great day at work.
    Exactly. There you have it. The rain and fish came early (actually started very early: late november-early january). If you have instantaneous access to daily/weekly hatchery returns then you could say it with authority, but that is a fair assessment.

I'm not sure I would agree that bclem's clients' two 20+" fish landed is a "bad day on the water"; perhaps more can be hoped for in places like AR's hatchery waters downstream of Sailor; but a couple fish to hand is not "bad" in my book. Not sure anyone is going to do better from now on.

Congradulations on the two fish.

Perhaps part of the reason you have been struggling is that the little honey buckets that use to hold fish are no longer there because a high water event change the characteristics of that certain run. I see people all the time flailing away at a certain run that changed three years ago and no longer holds fish.It happens more than you think on the American.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn kempkes View Post
    Perhaps part of the reason you have been struggling is that the little honey buckets that use to hold fish are no longer there because a high water event change the characteristics of that certain run. I see people all the time flailing away at a certain run that changed three years ago and no longer holds fish.It happens more than you think on the American.
    And I catch myself fishing old honey holes where I had been very succesful in years past, but no longer seem to hold fish. alot of times the first season I fish a stream is my most succesful season on it.
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Frank, I'm going to check it out.
    Brian, saw your rig and trailer at Sailor.
    JG, I fish Sailor all the time. No spawning where I fish and no crowds, ever (unless you fish the free hatchery side by the pipe). C'mon up!
    Amoeba, thanks.
    Shawn, I know what you're talking about, but not the case. Anyway, I'm heading your way. Flying into Seattle on the 28th and will fish the OP several days. I'll call you in a bit.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.