Thread: TU email re Frankensalmon

Default TU email re Frankensalmon

Received this email from TU today. The link to use in contacting the FDA is here:

http://takeaction.tu.org/c.ntJSJ8MPI...x?auid=7909099

The FDA is close to approving genetically modified salmon for human consumption. This decision could be disastrous for wild salmon in the U.S. and around the world. We simply can't let it happen.

Please join Trout Unlimited today and tell the FDA to say NO to genetically modified fish.

As you may have heard, a group called AquaBounty Technologies has created a genetically modified salmon that grows twice as fast as conventional farmed salmon. The company is seeking FDA approval to commercially market this "frankenfish."

So far, research and public debate has focused on the impacts of human consumption of the fish. But as anglers and conservationists, you know there's far more at stake.

If genetically engineered salmon are produced on a commercial scale, fisheries experts say they would inevitably escape into the wild. And if that occurs, it could cause catastrophic damage to the last remaining stocks of wild salmon. We do not question the FDA's ability to determine potential impacts to humans from eating genetically engineered fish, but they do not have the expertise to evaluate potential impacts on wild salmon.

As fishermen and women, we have a unique perspective on this issue, and our voices must be heard. Please, join me today in asking the FDA to conduct a full environmental impact analysis and consult with salmon fisheries experts from Trout Unlimited, NOAA Fisheries, and the Fish and Wildlife Service before making this potentially disastrous decision.

It's up to you and me to stand up and protect wild salmon and healthy fisheries.

Wow, I can't believe they're so ignorant on the issue. Test tube or not most of our conventional foods have been genetically modified by selective breeding. I don't see how these fish escaping into the wild would affect wild stocks either as they're sterile and I don't think their growth rates have anything to do with ravenous appetites. I wish people would quit fear mongering over this technology, it's getting old. If I remember correctly, these fish will be raised in freshwater ponds and not in any native salmon habitat so what's the problem.....
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

I have genetically modified organisms myself in classes. Not a big deal to me.

What is a big deal to me about this salmon, is that WHEN(not if) this gene proliferates in free ocean swimming salmon, it has the potential to cause uncalculated effect on a salmonid genepool that up untill the last 50 years succeeded through natural selection.

There are some that have told stories of the free skamania strain steelhead eggs that the norcal hatcheries switched to, and there was a boom time in the 80's of big wild crazy fish on the coast in unbelievable numbers. This happened after the initial decline of the fisheries. Then after this boom the fisheries "mysteriously" crashed. Well, you switch from Noyo, Mad or some other NorCal River as an egg source to a Washington strain, unadapted to California micro-ecosystem, and you not only have poor long term reproductive survival but youve added competition to the poor wild fish.

The introduction of mal-adapted genetics to a specialized genepool wreaks havoc, but also has the potential to introduce genotypes/phenotypes that may allow for future viability during sudden or gradual environmental changes.

So what I'm saying is, we already screwed up bad messing with the genetics of each river as a micro-ecosystem. Why do it again? Yes, maybe a frankenfish might survive climate change better than current salmonid genotypes, that would be a trip? It could maybe happen, I am not indenial. That would be ironic!

But I know its better to rely on natural selection(if you believe in it) than on some business-scientist in a lab(better trust their doctored "studies" and whitepapers), and trust EVERY fish farmer not to "let the cat outta the bag." They cant sterilize every fish, that cant prevent the gene from escaping "captivity."
    Last edited by FlyReelFisher; 03-09-2011 at 04:08 PM.

natural selection has been working for billions around 3 billion years (maybe longer if someone can point to an example that preadtes cyanobacteria)... don't mess with it
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010