Thread: Scott Powr Ply

Default Scott Powr Ply

My dad has an old Scott Powr Ply rod that has never been cast. It was given to him, and he wants some info about it.

This info might not be correct but he says it is a 2 piece 8'6" 4 3/8 ounce WEF7(don't know what that is). I am assuming 7 wt but not sure.

Serial number k864248

Bill,

I believe my brother in law brought this rod into your shop, maybe five years ago? He said some one in the shop offered him a new rod for it. This leads me to believe it has some value.
    If he had it his way nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it

Sounds like it is one of scotts older glass rods. They usually fetch a pretty good price, the lighter shorter trout rods bringing in the most. What color is it?

Russell

Photos would be best but...
    To get the age figured you need to find out what color glass it is. To begin there were two different shades of yellow, then brown, then black. I do know that serial number is not really early. The three 2 piece 8'6" models were the F85 (WF6), F86 (WF7), and F87B (WF7 Bass Taper). Depending on vintage, I know most glass collectors are happy to get one for less than $500. A few years ago they were routinely fetching in the $900 to $1100 range. This cat crap economy has really hurt some vintage rod values though...it's a bit of a buyer's market generally speaking. Find out what color the blank is and we can narrow it down a bit.
    Rich
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Default scott

I would send an email to Scott rods. They are very good about responding.
    I'd love to see some pictures.
    If you want to sell the rod a photo heavy ebay add with the words mint, never cast, like new ect. will bring a good price. A nice used two piece just sold for $400+.
    If it was me I'd keep it and take it smalmouth fishing. Paul

It's a mustard yellow, and now he says the serial number is k86-1268. It probably is still incorrect. It could easily be F86
    Last edited by Fochetti; 03-03-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    If he had it his way nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it

Well the fact that it's yellow narrows it down to a rod made between 1973 and 1977. The rods made from '73 to '76 had pigment that tinted the rods yellow tending toward an orangish/honeyish color. In 76 sometime they changed the pigment a little and the yellow rods tended toward a slightly greenish yellow. The slight pigment formula shift was all that changed though - otherwise same rods. In '78 they changed the color (only) again to brown. So your dad has a desirable rod there. I took half and hour and looked around and the only one like that I could find was an F81 (8' 6wt 2 piece) of similar age on a vintage dealers site and he was asking $575 - that sounds about right to me for full retail. I hope this helps.
    Rich
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Thanks everyone, any one interested in it?

Default scott

PM sent........................

The K in front of the serial number indicates the rod was built from a kit (ferruled blank with reel seat and grip installed). That's going to make it worth less on the collectible market than a factory finished rod. The 4248 serial number suggests to me that this was a rod built in the early 80s from yellow glass stock that remained after we switched to brown glass in 1978. I'm also guessing that the reel seat is rust red rather than the gold of the 1970s rods, though it's also possible a ferruled blank had been mounted with grip and gold reel seat and put into inventory. The F86 was a bit heavier than comparable Winston/Fishers and Fenwicks but is a solid, stable performer.
    Larry Kenney