Thread: #6 spey rod preference

Default #6 spey rod preference

Which rod do you guys like better? TFO #5/6 12'6" or
    Echo Tim Rajeff series #6 12'6"?

The TR 6126 is a cannon.

I fish the TR6126 and have no complaints about it. Throws a 480 GR skagit compact like a rocket. E-mail me if you have any questions.
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

Both rods are very nice. The TR is a bit stouter, but the TFO is still very capable.

For skagit, I might give the nod to the echo. But the 5/6 tfo is fantastic with a dry line. The CND 5/6 in particular is magic on that rod.

I have a 12.0 foot 5wt echo TR and my son has the 12' 6" 6wt TR. Both are awesome rods. Mainly throw a scandi on the 5wt. My son uses a 450 skagit on the 6wt. TFO's a great rods, but I find the spey rods to be a little softer than the TRs.

For the little price difference between the Echos and TFO, my preference would be to go with the TRs in spey rods. I own two TFOs in single handers and love them

Scott

I was between the 2 rods you mentioned but ended up with the Beulah 4/5 Switch rod. I went down to Kiene’s and Andy showed me all 3 rods, in fact he showed me all rods that were under $400. After trying all the rods I chose the Beulah.
    Very happy with the decision, especially the versatility of the switch rod. I have my second Spey casting lesson with Jeff Putnam tomorrow. Spey casting is harder than it looks. Hopefully after this lesson I can focus more on fishing than casting.

Frank

Frank, I hope you hit a window period. Forecast is for winds 20-30 with rain.

I second the 5/6 CND line. I haven't cast a lot of different lines, but the ones I have cast, the 5/6 CND is the most balanced. Practically casts itself. Hated it with a polyleader sink tip, but it's a dream to cast as a full floater.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Anyone considering a 5, 6, 7 weight spey should talk to Gary Anderson about his new NOVA series. steve