Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a Regal Vise?

Question New Brand....

Mike,.... Is "Norvis" a new brand Never heard of them before....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Mike,.... Is "Norvis" a new brand Never heard of them before....
    You never heard of it before? Really? Then again, I noticed many folks, including Norm Norlander (company owner), spell it "Nor-Vise" for some reason.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike O Guest

And here I thought Orvis was getting a little to close to a patent-infringement lawsuit.

Hi 1flyfisher. From one reno flytyer to another. I also have a regal vise that i have had for years and started noticing the same type of problem with small fly hooks (eighteen). Yes there appears to be some chipping on the jaws and I do not know if and when that occurred and how much of it is my error or the design flaw. I also considered buying midge jaws or the new stainless steel jaws. I really like my regal vise for large flies, steelhead, saltwater etc. but always felt it a little bulky for trout size flies. I looked around at other vises and then purchased a Renzetti Cam 2000. My plan was and is to use the Regal for the bigger flies and the Renzetti for the trout stuff. I have been very happy with the Renzetti. I tied up a bunch of 18 - 22 midges for this summer and found the jaws to hold the hooks extremely well and leave me plenty of room to comfortably move around the fly. i am completely satisfied with the choice of new vise and the plans for them. Hope this helps some. Mike

Question:
    On the Dynaking Barracuda or the Renzetti Traveler.....You can SET/Adjust the JAWS to a desired hook siZe correct?
    I mean if I am going to tie several dozen of a specific size hook (say #20) I can adjust/set the vise so that I can just pop the same size hook right in and just flip the lever and the hook is held solid? Right?
    I mean I don't have to adjust anything everytime I put the same size hook in do I?

Also....how the hell do you tie with that bobbin thing sticking out?
    Why not just let the bobbin hang down, how does that stick make life better?

I went into cabela's and no one there was able to accurately demonstrate either the renzetti Traveler or the Dynaking.
    I went to Scheel's and the dude there had no clue what a vise was.
    I fiddled with both but really wasn't able to clearly see the functionality of either vise and how they work.
    I could have gone into the reno fly SHop and one of the jamokes there could have explained everything about how either vise works in about 5 minutes and demonstrate the features and functionality of either vise and I would have been able to figure out which i liked better in 10 minutes. I also could have spent as much time as I needed tying on each vise in the back room.
    Very sad little 1flyfisher.
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 02-26-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    Question:
    On the Dynaking Barracuda or the Renzetti Traveler.....You can SET/Adjust the JAWS to a desired hook siZe correct?
    I mean if I am going to tie several dozen of a specific size hook (say #20) I can adjust/set the vise so that I can just pop the hook right in and just flip the lever and the hook is held solid?
    I mean I don't have to adjust anything everytime I put a hook in do I?

Also....how the hell do you tie with that bobbin thing sticking out?
    Why not just let the bobbin hang down?
    The Bobbing cradle moves out of the way very easily if you need the room. You need the cradle if you want to tie with the rotary function (winding on materials)

Once you get the jaws set, you don't need to be re-adusting everything each time you put the hook in the jaws.

I've got a pair of travelers that I've been tying on since the early 1990's. I love the vice and an not often tempted to upgrade. I've tied flies ranging from 28's to 8/0's and never had any issues.
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Question Bobbin Cradle....

Not to contradict Fats but using any vice and/or features involves choices based on personal tying styles. Using a bobbin cradle may not be a "need". For example, I've never used the cradle that came with my Dyna King for the 18 months that I've had it whether using rotary function or not. Actually, I removed it from the base and see no need to use it. Some day I might but not for now.

The point of this is, don't get locked into whether you have to have a particular feature or other extra unless you really see a need for it. You can always add one later.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

1fly, it's pretty obvious to all of us and I suspect to you also. Go to the Reno Fly Shop and try 'em all out.

The advice you get will be invaluable.

This is where flyshops excel.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Reno Fly Shop - closed

It was reported here that the Reno Fly Shop closed in December.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21712

Yow that's right.

I just take access to fly shops for granted.

Let us know what you end up with 1flyfisher, I'm using a Regal also. I've sent small hooks off into the ether but no chips yet.
    Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.