Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a Regal Vise?

I had a Regal for years and did experience the same problems you have been having. I saved the vice to pass on to a beginning tier, who has used it for another 15 years...but she is tying mostly bass bugs so no flying hooks for her.

You said you were thinking of a rotary vise. Recommend you do so. I won't advise of make or model except to say that I tie on both a Dyna King Barracuda and a Nor Vise...both are amazing and completely different. I haven't any real favorites. Renzetti is another well made vise. The advantages to having a rotary, once you learn to tie on it and utilize all the favorable things it can do for you, you will never go back. There's a lot of hype but see if you can try one out and then make a decision on what suits you best. What's great for me may be the pits for you.........nuff said.

Well I have had the vise for several decades with no problems so it would be pretty weak if they tried to blame me for putting the hook in wrong since I have been putting the hook in correctly for 20+ years with no problems till about a little over a year ago. So I think any reasonable person would see that they finally wore out. Anyway I will contact them and see what happens. Maybe they won't try and screw me (fingers crossed). If they try and stick me with some ridiculous shipping charges I will just get a new rotary vice(which I need anyway) and give this vice to a kid or maybe the VA or something or some school or boy scouts....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    According to Regal's website, "improper use and hook placement" that causes chipping will cost you $40 ("shipping and handling") for replacement jaws -- here's the link:

http://regalvise.com/index.php/Customer-Service.php

You'll also have to factor in the cost of shipping the jaws to them for examination and determination.

So, I suspect that unless you can convince them the cause was other than "improper use and hook placement," you'll be stuck. They probably deal with this issue a lot, since it invariably comes up when folks talk about Regal vises. In fact, the company recommends always wearing eye protection when using their vises, suggesting it happens enough they feel the need to cover themselves from a liability standpoint.

On the other hand, the above cost of replacing the jaws is still significantly cheaper than buying any new quality vise unless, of course, you have to do this repeatedly.

The company-stated range of hooks that the standard jaws will accept is 22 - 1/0 but it seems many start running into issues when they go smaller than size 18, maybe 20 at the smallest. That's a relatively limited size range compared to many other vise options -- something else to consider if you're weighing the jaw replacement route.

Yeah If I have to shell out any $$$ for repairs then I will give it away to some kid or something.
    Thanks for the vise suggestions. I will check those out. I have heard good things about that barracuda and the renzetti.
    Time for me to go rotary. The regal served me well. It is only small hooks #12-22 that go flying out. But that's what I tie..

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie S View Post
    I had a Regal for years and did experience the same problems you have been having. I saved the vice to pass on to a beginning tier, who has used it for another 15 years...but she is tying mostly bass bugs so no flying hooks for her.

You said you were thinking of a rotary vise. Recommend you do so. I won't advise of make or model except to say that I tie on both a Dyna King Barracuda and a Nor Vise...both are amazing and completely different. I haven't any real favorites. Renzetti is another well made vise. The advantages to having a rotary, once you learn to tie on it and utilize all the favorable things it can do for you, you will never go back. There's a lot of hype but see if you can try one out and then make a decision on what suits you best. What's great for me may be the pits for you.........nuff said.

Thumbs up New vs Repairs....

Not trying to be funny here but if I were you, I think I would save myself a lot of indigestion and just go get a new vice of your choice. From what you've said, it sounds like you're setting yourself up for disappointment by checking with regal. Undoubtedly there'll be charges of some sort that will make you unhappy. You've had two decades of good use out of your current one.

Be happy with that and move on....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The Regal is done for hooks for trout. It isn't worth putting any money into and it appears regal wants $40 for shipping.

I am looking for a new rotary vise.
    ANy suggestions?

Thumbs up New Vice....

well,.... You just had 20 years of good use from a Regal. You could get a new one with midge jaws....

I'm currently using a Dyna King (DK) Barracuda Junior for some of my tying and a Regal for the rest. I like them both but for different reasons. The Regal really holds on to the larger hooks that I tie on but isn't a true rotary for what that's worth. The DK vice is a true rotary But isn't as easily used for larger hooks and requires some adjustment to accommodate them. The Regal doesn't require adjustment. Both vices are very strong.

The main complaint I have about the regal is that it's sometimes difficult to squeeze the lever as my hands are becoming arthritic. Not as much of a problem with the DK vice.

Haven't had enough experience with other brands/types but others will undoubtedly chip in with some good suggestions.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I realy like my Renzetti Traveler. Had it for a long long time and it's just takes whatever I throw at it. Price point is pretty good too!

1flyfisher, I would send it in and get a midge jaw put in if you are only paying $40.00! I have just a standard Regal with no rotation for about 15 years and I only have one slight chip from tying a size 20. It flung in the air and I never found it. The placement is important as you get into the midges unless you have the pointed midge jaws and thats what I'm looking really soon. I also mostly fish for trout and like tieing small so I probably got the wrong vise for my use but I'm not sure when the midge jaws came about. If you do go a rotary vise let us members know what you think of it. Good luck, Hector

I was looking at the Dyna King Barracuda and the Renzetti Traveler the other day. I am not sure if I want to drop the additional $$$ on the Dyna King....only because I have a lot of other areas my $$$ needs to go right now.

Both look like very good rotary vises. Anyone have these and what are the pro's and con's of each?

The Barracuda looks really solid and beefy. The renzetti I am not sure about that little screw on the jaws.
    Is it easy and QUICK to load a hook into these vises? The regal is nice and quick that way.

ANy thoughts and opinions welcome.

Question Dyna King vs Renzetti

Actually, they're both very good vices and either would serve you well. I don't have a Renzetti but consider it similar to the Dyna King in most features. The important exception for me was the cam closer/release for the jaws. Also, the collet adjustment of the jaws to accommodate a wide range of hooks. The button you referred to doesn't seem to be much of an issue unless you're tying in volumes. Altho the Dyna King appears to be of stronger construction, the Renzetti should be strong enough to meet your needs. Plus, it's less expensive....

Author unknown