Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stacking Calf Tail

Default Stacking Calf Tail

Any tips on stacking calf tail? No matter how hard I smack it the tips just don't align.

Thanks for any help

What are you using it for? Best solution is to use something else if possible. Otherwise, keep smacking the heck out of it.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Did you comb it out ?? I do this w/ both Calf and Deer . Hold the butts , comb the tips , reverse grip , hold the tips , comb the butts ....

Is it clean ?? A rinse w/ a mild soap (Ivory , dissolved in water) and warm water will make it handle better .

Take an un-scented fabric softener sheet - rub the tail with it . Makes it handle a LOT better .

Post your results after trying theses , please .

D.~

Question Stacking Calf Tail....

While I have used calf tail in tying many Steelhead patterns, I never saw a need to stack the material. Because it's coarse and krinkly, it doesn't lend itself to stacking. My usual method was to pull the hairs out, perpendicular to the bone/skin and trim it off. Then I removed any overly long individual hairs. That resulted in similar (not same) length hair. I didn't/don't necessarily think that all of the calf hair should be the same length. What pattern are you tying with it that requires stacking

Now, bucktail and other fur/hair is another matter....
    Last edited by Darian; 03-04-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Well, although calf tail does look best on certain steelhead (e.g., skunks) and trout (e.g., trudes) patterns, my point is I think it has been eclipsed by other materials for certain purposes (e.g., parachute posts).

In any event, whenever I've used calf tail, about all I do is hold the stack by the tips, brush out the shorter hairs thus released, and then stacked the heck out of the remaining hair. I think it also helps to not pack the stacking tube too much so there's room for these crooked hairs to move around.

I'm intrigued by David's ideas, though . . . wasn't aware of the washing/fabric softener ideas -- will have to keep those in mind in the future.
    Last edited by Hairstacker; 03-04-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

A lot of good advice here, especially from David Lee and Hairstacker (sic.). If you are using this for dry flies, my advice would be to either stack by hand AFTER cleaning out the underfur as described. Pull perpendicular to bone, cut, clean, then hold the hair by the butts in one hand, grab longer tips and pull, place even with tips still in hand, repeat until happy. Alternative is to switch to calf body hair which stacks MUCH easier than calf tail in a conventional stacker (smaller sizes best).

Luck.
    -JD

I am using it for tying some "Trude's". I removed the under fur before trying to stack it. It is clean and dry. I will try the fabric softener. I didn't want to use polypro yarn and have thought about calf body hair instead but trying to stay true to the pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    While I have used calf tail in tying many Steelhead patterns, I never saw a need to stack the material. Because it's coarse and krinkly, it doesn't lend itself to stacking. My usual method was to pull the hairs out, perpendicular to the bone/skin and trim it off. Then I removed any overly long individual hairs. That resulted in similar (not same) length hair. I didn't/don't necessarily think that all of the calf hair should be the same length. What pattern are you tying with it that requires stacking

Now, bucktail and other fur/hair is another matter....
    ^^^This^^^

You can wipe your hair stacker with a cling free, I think that's what David said.

Here's what I do. I wash the calftail with soap and water. Mash it dry with paper towels.

Then I take a hot iron and iron the wet hair from the base out to the tips. I make 2 sides of the calftail. I have an iron the Mrs. allocated me to use for materials. I use a towel to iron the calftail against. Car rag works good.

More trouble than it's worth maybe. The calftail is alot straighter and cleaner. Stacks nice, but still has some curlyness to it as you can't iron out all the krinkly characteristics, but it is straighter. Yeah I know, always taking fly tying too far.

See you at Kiene's expo.

Bob

Question Too Complicated....

Bob,.... Your preparation makes organization of the materials easier and the end product good looking. If we tied as many flies as you, we'd probably all try to do something similar or go nuts....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown