Thread: Skwalas Going Off on the Lower Yuba?

Default Skwalas Going Off on the Lower Yuba?

There has been quite a bit of noise out there about the Skwala Hatch on the Lower Yuba River. I thought I'd post some of my reflections. For the records, I haven't been out this past week, so my observations and comments are from what I've experienced through February 5th.

(1) The recent word on the street. The Skwala Hatch is going off.

My Opinion: I have been on the river quite a few days in the last 4 weeks, prior to February 5th, at least twice a week. I have searched the rocks and bushes each time I get out and there are very few Skwala cases. When the hatch is full bore there are cases everywhere. In a full day of drifting the river we may see 5 or 6 skwalas in the drift, in the water. This does not constitute a hatch.

Last year when the hatch was going off you could sit it one spot and watch the parade of Skwalas in the drift, one every 2 or 3 feet. They would end up in the eddy pools or soft water below and to the side of a riffle and the fish would be podded up and eating them.

The Skwala event is not happening yet.

(2) Is there a difference with the Skwala Hatch above or below the Parks Bar Bridge.

My Opinion: Maybe. In waters in Montana the stonefly hatch moves upstream as it progresses. This may also occur on the Lower Yuba River. Most of my observations have been above the Parks Bar Bridge. I have friends that guide the river and they have been having big days throwing Skwala Dries below the Parks Bar Bridge. Does this mean the hatch is on there? I still don't think so. When asking them if they've seem many Skwalas in the drift they have replied, no.

(3) Why are the fish hitting Skwala dries?

My Opinion: I believe the Yuba fish are being opportunistic. I believe the high flows in December rolled the river and the bug population has taken a hit. When drifting the river I have seen very few bugs on the water. Few Skwalas, few PMD's, few BWO's and no March Browns. Again this is above the Parks Bar Bridge. I have heard reports of seeing March Brown's on the lower river. How many? No one has said.

When doing screen samples and rolling rocks, there have been very few bugs stirred up. When picking rocks up and looking underneath, the rocks look like they have been sandblasted (rolled) and there are very few bugs. This may be different down stream further where the current spreads out and is less channelized.

I believe the fish are actively hunting for food. The fish have continued to eat Troutbeads, Rubber-leg stones, and attractor patterns under indicator. They have eaten streamers swung in the runs (salmon smolts). They're hungry. They'll eat something big and attractive floating over their heads.

These are my observations, anyway.

The Big Kahuna http://www.flyfishingtraditions.com

I fished the Yube Friday from 12 to dark with my brother, using mostly skwala nymphs and dries. Around 2:00 or so, we saw some olives, march browns (?) and skwalas. A few fish started rising, I got one hit on a dry skwala, but then it all stopped before it ever really got started, around 4:00. This contrasts with what I saw last winter, when there were fish actively feeding on the dry skwalas all over the place. So, I concur with the previous post, "the skwala event is not happening."

We did ask two drift boats how they were doing early in the afternoon, and they both said they had caught a few (on indicators). We had no such luck on indicators. I also swung a muddler about a half hour before dark with no luck.

We were fishing about 1 mile below the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
    This may be different down stream further where the current spreads out and is less channelized.

http://www.flyfishingtraditions.com
    I would agree. There have been Skwalla coming off the river since mid January below Daguerre. Not many fish though. I imagine a lot of bugs got crushed or blown downstream in the December flows.

Default well put

big kahuna is right on the money with what he said! nothing at all like last year. those who call this a hatch are crazy. Our group was seeing more skwalas in early january than we do now. I also think that 22,000 cfs really hurt the bug life. in 2 months i have not even seen a mayfly hatch out there. very few when they do show. maybe the weather will change things. A very determined dry fly fisherman will still do well. the river is a zoo right now. if u don't like crowds I highly recommend going somewhere else.

thekid

Hubby was out with our club yesterday on the UC Davis property above the bridge and said he saw two skwalas all day and only one fish rise...

He thinks only 3 fish were caught (& released, of course).....
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Big kahuna, I think you are right on the money in saying that the bug population, particularly the skwalas, takes a big hit in high water years.....I also think your right in that the fish are being opportunistic (also probably a bit of a history of feeding on these bugs this time of year plays into it). This makes perfect since to me, since fishing with hoppers (an opportunistic type of insect) is typically great on the Y after high water years. Looking forward to June already.

Default Why are the fish hitting Skwala dries?

The nymphs of stoneflies crawl out of the water... They do not emerge like a mayfly or a caddis. The dries should imitate a female like your knot skwala. Fish are looking for that big black sack of eggs at the tail. You will only have one shot at a Yuba trout. If you get a rise and miss it is best to move on.... How is that new fly working out?

Mike O Guest

Buddy of mine went out this weekend. Saw a "small" hatch of Skwalas, but no rises or grabs. Said he saw a few March Browns out too.

Wonder what a week's worth of water is gonna do this week?

Default It ain't happening.

word on the street notwithstanding:

1. Minimal skwalas coming off - word on the street is coming off, not skwalas. Been there alot. And this year sux.

2. Diff btwn above/below 20. Maybe. But not this year. There is minimal hatch; if any at all. It's a whole buncha web talk and not to be believed (well - if you look closely at the OP, it's not really a fishing report, so take it FWIW).

3. They are hitting skwala dries bcz it's a stimulator; so is a hopper. there is no hatch coming off.

4. Sounds like more guide-associated hype. It ain't happening.

Troutbeads aren't flies, you better be thinking more than just rubberlegs, and the fish aren't hungry.

The word is on the street, the fishing on the Yuba is slow; and the true grit is in the level of pressure, which is quite low.

It is barely worth it; a toss up between watching the kings lose and pro-am golf. I ended up fishing -