Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta salmon plan ....

Thumbs down Delta salmon plan ....

Pointless ?

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...20325/-1/RSS02

Why not just remove Friant Dam ????????

D.~

Fascinating . . . does seem like a shot in the dark though. Would be cool if they actually pulled it off.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

We have been discussing all this salmon and steelhead hatchery "stuff" for decades now.

My feelings is that they could take wild fish from the river and spawn them in the hatchery to get high numbers of success, then at a young age let them go at the hatchery into the river and let them be wild from then on.

Raising them in raceways for a long time and feeding them doesn't make for survivors in the wild, as I see it.

Not a biologist so this is just my 'two bits worth'.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Question Spawning....

As I recall, in-stream spawning was tried using the Whitlock, Vibert Box. Haven't heard anything about them in use for many years. Does anyone know what ever happened to them If they're viable, it seems like that would be an economical method of accommodating natural spawning....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

They're using vibert boxes on the King's below Pine Flat dam. Haven't heard about it in a year or so, but they were definitely in play there.

-m

Found a link... http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18465
    Last edited by mikel; 02-12-2011 at 04:09 PM.

the river you mentioned, that i shall not name, is actually doing quite well. people say there are no fish there, but it just depends if you know how to cast your flies or not. also, people tend to keep that river on the down low, but honestly, i do not think it matters because there are so many bait chuckers on that river, and they basically stock the river every week. for example, during the summer time they stock every week. the flows are SUPER high, which makes it nearly unfishable. By the time the flows drop, fish get monsterously large. I've seen some large large large monsters. But that river is doing extremely well. fish the c&r section, and youll get a monster. report all poacher, and youll love this river.

as for the salmon in the SJ, im quite worried because it gets super hot there in the summer, sometimes spring, and early fall. I am not sure if the water will be cool enough for the salmon to survive. Everythign they have done is just experimental, but who knows. maybe it could happen. BUT i do like bill kienes idea he mentioned. You gotta think about how dangerous the trip would be for the smolts, going from the millerton dam, to striper country, to the delta, and ocean. Lots of bass and stripers there.

Quote Originally Posted by thepeacockspecial View Post
    You gotta think about how dangerous the trip would be for the smolts, going from the millerton dam, to striper country, to the delta, and ocean. Lots of bass and stripers there.
    And millions of Sacramento Squawfish , the Native Salmon/Steelhead predator .... and the Crayfish and Sculpins that raid the redds .....

And the S.J. River almost totally de-watered , and blocked by dams ......

And the pollution .... running off streets from uncounted Cars and Trucks , not to mention all those people flushing toilets and dumping millions of gallons a year of nasty stuff into the watershed ....

Bass and Stripers are not the 'boogy-men' of the situation .

D.~
    Last edited by David Lee; 02-13-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    And millions of Sacramento Squawfish , the Native Salmon/Steelhead predator .... and the Crayfish and Sculpins that raid the redds .....

And the S.J. River almost totally de-watered , and blocked by dams ......

And the pollution .... running off streets from uncounted Cars and Trucks , not to mention all those people flushing toilets and dumping millions of gallons a year of nasty stuff into the watershed ....

Bass and Stripers are not the 'boogy-men' of the situation .

D.~
    Here, here!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

OH YEAH, I totally forgot to mention all those poachers that will be on that river....