Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Lower Yuba wading options?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    Not to hijack...
    Lol, don't worry Jim, I think this thread has long since been 'jacked . Actually I've been watching the debate with some interest, despite the fact that most of this thread has little to do with my original question. It has been a bit informative, although I feel a bit sorry that I accidentally stirred up such a hornets nest... as that was never my intention.

I have to say it has stirred up some strong sentiment on my part as well about public access issues. I'll keep them out of this debate, as I really know nothing personally about this specific river and it's issues. On the "guide bashing" however, I'm in complete agreement with Jim on this. Most guides do tend to be overall great stewards, and representatives of our sport and our rivers. Of course they tend to have higher catch rates than most, and therefore when I see guide reports of 20-30 fish days I usually just drop the zeros on those numbers, cross my fingers, and head out to see what the river has to teach me...

I wish that I had some fish pics to change the tone of this thread a bit... but alas, I'm snowed in with no fishing on the radar for a bit

Thanks JB, I take the zeros away for ya when I post for the T. Ha!!!
    The good news for fishers, is that guides share info at all.
    Think about it.
    Many/most guides/teachers will share the skills needed to increase your game if you're willing to ask.
    Ralf and Bob are good examples.
    Guys with attitude don't get all the info/love. But they probably wouldn't listen anyway...
    My attitude about the fishery, is it is fun, and as a kid I always enjoyed the fruit hanging just over the fence.
    Somehow it tastes better????

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 02-17-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Thanks JB, I take the zeros away for ya when I post for the T. Ha!!!
    The good news for fishers, is that guides share info at all.
    Think about it.
    Many/most guides/teachers will share the skills needed to increase your game if you're willing to ask.
    Jim
    Very true indeed, and btw your kind sharing of info with my buddy and I on the Truckee a few weeks back payed off BIG time for me. Scored a really nice rainbow that very afternoon (by far my personal biggest), and has left my brain in a constant spin since (trying to "think like a trout"). Thanks for all the good tips!
    JB

How big?????
    Pictures please.
    And, anytime.
    Jim

Well don't get too excited Jim, remember I AM a novice, but for me it was a great success...

But here ya go, from the Truckee not the Yuba, but at least it IS a fish pic
    JB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000303.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	2604  

JB, thanks again.
    Sweet colors! Looks like a wildy.

Jim

Jason, That's a nice trout you have there! I have caught fish that size on the Dooba, but the T, yet...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Well don't get too excited Jim, remember I AM a novice, but for me it was a great success...

But here ya go, from the Truckee not the Yuba, but at least it IS a fish pic
    JB

I believe we are shaped by the waters we fish.
    Lil bitty creeks teach certain skills. Stalking small fish with small flies and accurate casts.
    Big roaring rivers, give you a taste for big two handed casts and mongo sea runs..
    On the T, I've learned to be tough, persistant, and willing to go home without a fish.
    But...... when you hook a big wild, wana-be-steelhead (and lets not even mention the browns) it makes up for it.
    The yuba is somewhat similar in character, and lessons. (- the BIG browns)
    Just sharing..... Oh, and every year about this time, I encourage not thinking of skwallas on the yuba as a dry fly. Drown'em.
    Look at them in the water, they ride very low, and sink in the first riffle they hit.
    Where other stones fly to Oviposit, skwallas walk out onto the surface tension. Amazing.....
    Oh, and JB, your gonna need a bigger net.
    Now I'll go away.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 02-17-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Oh, and JB, your gonna need a bigger net...
    HA! If that's my main technical concern, then I would be one happy camper (er, fisher)! I'll keep that in mind though, if/when I start catching bigger trout with any sort of regularity. At this point, I'll just be happy to get back out on the river again and start throwin some feathers again
    JB

I live in Cool. We even had a pretty impressive flurry down here for awhile this afternoon.