Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Yuba wading options?

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    you are allowed to cross private land to cross from one fishable spot across the impassable spot, to another fishing spot, as long as you don't deviate.

I have heard of something like that called "reasonable right of portage"; it is in statute or case law of some states (not others); I'm not sure about California - if it has been tested here, or what the result was.

For the record, I advocate you going and making the walk upstream as well. UC will not hassle fisherman on the river, other landowners in the area are less friendly, and most land along the river is not posted. The only warden you will see will come floating down the river in a kayak.

Amoeba, I gently suggest you make the drive along the road into the UC property one day, look around, and count how many of your "management" actions are in place there. Or just count how many of those are there at the access parking lot next to the river.

Difficult access is better, always. Its what makes places and days special, always. Sweat improves fishing, always. Have fun.

Default Busy googling at night, are we?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The hatchery was built in 1880 and run by the Glenbrook Mill. The property with hatchery was purchased by Bliss in 1887 and turned over to the state in exchange for timber rights. The hatchery was reconstructed three times - each time with private funding. I'm not sure about the rest of your conspiracy theory - it may be true - I don't know. But I do know you are talking gibberish when you say the Tahoe property was obtained and maintained by license holders.
    Busy googling at night, are we?

Whatever may have happened in the 1880's isn't particularly relevant, it was a fish and game facility until it went to UC. It's not gibberish that DFG is supported in large part by license fees and State taxes - both of which us fishermen pay. Part of what they do is hatcheries. Whether or not this particular hatchery, in the early 20th century, got any of those moneys - gee - you got me there. I don't know for sure - I presumed so, but I'll bet you don't either. That too, isn't relevant.

What does matter is that it was DFG property; UC got it (and DFG got rid of it) - in exchange for UC-Sierra providing public access to the Yuba River. It's not a conspiracy theory, and it may not show on your search engine, but that's what happened.

Default UC Sierra access evaporates into thin air?

I have to admit that I can't even find any reference on the web after 2006 to the 15 angler/day allowance and mail lottery that DFG used to hold.

So, does anyone know what happened?

Did the UC Sierra access evaporate into thin air? I know DFG -like the rest of the State agencies - is spread thin....but inadequate access turning into nothing doesn't make the situation any happier, to say the least. Or did "something else" happen?

Jeepers.....

As I said, all the public access these days is through local fly fishing club trips. Clubs were there last Saturday, they will be there this coming Saturday. Contact any of the local Central Valley/Sacramento area fly fishing clubs and find out how to join their club trips if you want to use the UC access.

I don't think they have run the random lottery for some time now, not sure why.

They ran the lottery last year (early spring?). I heard about it on another fishing BB and posted it here. I mailed in a post card, no luck. The Yuba is a nice river, but for all of the reasons above (and the fact that I don't like fishing next to someone) I stay away. To everyone else, enjoy!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by tallguy View Post
    As I said, all the public access these days is through local fly fishing club trips. Clubs were there last Saturday, they will be there this coming Saturday. Contact any of the local Central Valley/Sacramento area fly fishing clubs and find out how to join their club trips if you want to use the UC access.

I don't think they have run the random lottery for some time now, not sure why.

Default 2000 cfs

Hey Jason....

When the flows are at that level, I always headed straight for the large side channel about 2 miles below the bridge on the south side access road. Just drive down that road until you see it below you on the right hand side. It's a cool place and fishes just like a smaller trout stream. Tons of good water in there. Start at the top and you can fish all the way down to where it dumps back into the main river. Not much pressure either.

I have caught some very nice fish in there, especially in the lower sections. By the looks of the water, which is VERY fishy, you'd think there'd be tons of fish in there, but there aren't. However, you should run into a couple.

It's a good break from fishing the big main river. And once you're done with the channel, the main river below it has some great water all the way down to where the huge gravel piles begin. It's all wide open and easily waded or fished from shore.

Remember that the Yuba fish are wise. These aren't your stupid opportunistic backcountry trout. So skunks are very common. That river will humble you. But when you do luck out and have a good day, you keep coming back. Some days you'd think there isn't a single fish in that river. But the fish are always there. They don't go anywhwere!

Good luck!

"there's a common misperception that a river has to be declared navigable by the Corps of Engineers for you to be able to walk along or in it - that's irrelevant"
    This is 100% correct. And one of the most common "excuses" I hear when a land owner wants to prohibit legal access along the floodplain. The following rule applies: If a a body of water is listed as navigable on the Corps of Engineers list it's navigability status can not be contested in a court (although you can petition for removal from the list). So there can be no arrests for trespass on a listed navigable river (as long as you stay below the normal high water mark). Just because a body of water is not on the navigable list does not automatically mean it is a non-navigable body. The only thing it means is that the body has never been petitioned for inclusion on the Corps list. You may be subject to arrest for trespass on a non-listed body, however the prosecuting agency must prove the body is non-navigable and you may use the navigable clause as a defense. Calif has a very broad interpretation of navigability to include the ability to float ANY type of watercraft (including rafts, kayaks, or any other small water craft) at ANY time during the year. And yes, that means during high water events. So, if at ANY time of the year, you can float on the body, it meets CA standards for navigability and you are allowed access up to the mean high water mark, including foot access. This provision has been challenged several times in the courts, all the way up to the CA Supreme Court, and all challenges have failed to date. For the record, the Yuba is listed as a navigable body of water by the Corps from Englebright Dam to the mouth of the river at the Feather River.

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    Busy googling at night, are we?

Whatever may have happened in the 1880's isn't particularly relevant, it was a fish and game facility until it went to UC. It's not gibberish that DFG is supported in large part by license fees and State taxes - both of which us fishermen pay. Part of what they do is hatcheries. Whether or not this particular hatchery, in the early 20th century, got any of those moneys - gee - you got me there. I don't know for sure - I presumed so, but I'll bet you don't either. That too, isn't relevant.

What does matter is that it was DFG property; UC got it (and DFG got rid of it) - in exchange for UC-Sierra providing public access to the Yuba River. It's not a conspiracy theory, and it may not show on your search engine, but that's what happened.
    No need to Google - I used to work there. It was a massive structure that was no longer used by DFG (okay, they stored a Whaler and a tin boat in the garage). The hatchery had long since closed and the biologist position was moved to Nimbus. The rooms that didn't leak had been leased to UC Davis since the 60's. It was a white elephant and to pretend that somehow our license fees were best managed by maintaing the property is simply untrue. The rest of your story has a similar feel and until you can demonstrate some facts (State transactions are public - you apparently know where they are and what they read) I'll side with DFG and UCD on this one.

UC Davis access report from last saturday..

http://flyfishingtraditions.blogspot.com/