Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Yuba wading options?

Question Lower Yuba wading options?

I noticed that the flows have dropped down a bit more, ~2200cfs, and I'm wondering what this might be like for shore wading access? I've never been to the lower Yuba, but I gather that these flows are not exactly the easiest but still doable. I'm a novice/intermediate type who's in the middle of a steep learning curve and I'm eager to continue my successes with as much quality fishing as I can get into (this could probably be put more succinctly by saying I'm desperate!). I've been doing ok up on the Truckee this last month, but hoping for some other options to explore.

Any words on any of the following questions would be greatly appreciated:
    -Would there still be some good wading options?
    -Would this be a "fools mission" for a newbie at these flows?
    -Any suggestions as to where to start?
    -Any sage words of encouragement to convince me that I'm not crazy and that I may indeed stand a chance at some success?

Thanks in advance, PM's are fine too of course.
    Cheers, JB

Jason,

I say go for it! I put in the first 3 years of learning to fly fish (still learning) on the Lower Yuba (until I found other places without so many people). I think it's a great river to learn on. The fishing can be very tough, but you never know. Wading won't be easy, don' t think you'll be able to cross at those flows, but you should be able to fish the edges and some runs as well. Try rubber leg stones with a dropper pattern, unless you see them rising. Good luck!

Where in Garden Valley do you live, I grew up in Georgetown? Class of '97.

Dan

Default thanks

Thanks Dan,
    I actually live on the east side of hwy193, it's really closer to Kelsey and Georgetown, but technically still in Garden Valley. We live on Bear creek, if you're familiar with the area.
    Cheers,
    JB

Default Just be sure to keep an eye out for barbed wire

You can wade fish the Yuba at 3,000 and below; it would not be a fool's mission; you can even cross it (maybe) at some points now - for example - at Hammond Bar and go upstream and fish that side (it used to be deep but it is filled in with gravel that moved earlier this season; a float tube and fins can help). But that's a common public access, and the river is getting pounded daily between 20 and Daguerre. Your best chances are to bust brush on the north side, and go way, way, upstream, to just below the Narrows and fish downstream from there. There are alot more rock outcroppings, and shade; in that stretch. You'll see more of the stoneflies and march browns (just starting) up there. So your best chances to actually catch fish - and fish on unpounded water - is to go upstream - and go weekdays, and start in the morning (since that hike will be about 2 hours), and definitely use fluorocarbon tippet. Just be sure to keep an eye out for barbed wire.

The Yuba can be good but, on average, it is not a piece of cake for anyone. You need to understand this is a website and what you'll see on here is alot of boasting by guides who don't really catch squat; they haven't caught 30 fish in a week no less a day; it's a thinly veiled attempt to get clients because the business (and the fishing) is slow. Most websites don't even allow this sort of free advertising. So understanding the fishing there means not only knowing what worked, but what could work - on the day you go. It's kinda hard to predict, since it varies with air temperature and sky to a large extent, and water temperature and clarity - and that can vary as well with cold fronts and slight amounts of precipitation (particularly if it brings mud down from one of several tribs).

That means varying your techniques, and patterns. Don't just head up there with a box of #8 skwalas and san juan worms. It could be #18 pmds, march browns or a variety of small nymphs, or simple maribou olive leeches (a smolt imitation); alot of fish are caught on less common materials, that rest in the film and subsurface patterns - cripples, parachutes, tiny flashy flies on short droppers (often tied to a larger, more buoyant fly, such as #10 elkhair caddis); flies with CDC or small amounts of crystalflash - seems to produce. Longer leaders (like 10-11 feet) - seems to produce. Alot of people don't even use commercial leaders there for this - make their own out of maxima and fluorocarbon; figure out what works.
    Last edited by amoeba; 02-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.

JB, I know the area as my sister and her family live just across 193 from Travers Creek Rd. Amoeba posted some good information. Hopefully I didn't get you to excited, for what it's worth I didn't land a fish on the Yuba until the end of the second year that I fished it. A few bumps here and there would keep me coming back for more. Good luck.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Thanks Dan,
    I actually live on the east side of hwy193, it's really closer to Kelsey and Georgetown, but technically still in Garden Valley. We live on Bear creek, if you're familiar with the area.
    Cheers,
    JB

You will be trespassing the entire time across University of CA property. It is posted, patrolled, and they arrest people. It is a working ranch and field station so chances are pretty good you won't bust brush for two hours and NOT get noticed. A better option is to contact Fish and Game and apply for a legal permit (you can then drive to the river and not fish with one eye looking backward). I believe UC/DFG hosts two trips per month (nominal fee, if any). It's a sweet deal, we don't need to ruin it by abusing the privilege.

Default not a sweet deal.

No:

The UCD property is not properly posted, I've never seen anyone patrolling there in 20 years (other than an occasional cow), never heard of anyone arrested, they don't "host trips"; what did happen is that UC agreed to provide public access to the UC-sierra property in exchange for acquisition of DFG's former hatchery building and grounds on north lake tahoe (near polaris creek) - the problem was that the term "public access" wasn't defined in terms of when and what (like it needs to be); so basically what happened is UC put it off forever until DFG staff bugged UC about it, and there was some smoky-room deal struck cut between then DFG director Banky Curtis and UC, which had some ridiculously low amount of public access (I think 15 anglers, for 4 days a year, dawn-dusk only, by paper/mail lottery). DFG does patrol the property during peak hunting season - there is also some sort of limited entry for turkeys and such.

Not a fair deal to the public, or to DFG, who gave up $5 million + in property for close to nothing - property that was obtained for and maintained by license-holders. Not a sweet deal IMO. If they're charging money for it now, that's even worse of a deal.

Rather, this is something for Ms. Finsallaround and other rabble-rousers to investigate, submit FOIA requests, and raise cane to have it properly opened to the public as it was originally intended - not made some sort of a limited public access/private club for UCD.
    Last edited by amoeba; 02-09-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    (it used to be deep but it is filled in with gravel that moved earlier this season; a float tube and fins can help).
    Hey Amoeba,

Ever drop in at Englebright in a tube and float down to 20? I know a guy who did in his DONUT tube years ago... No tresspassing if you keep below highwater right? Probably leave the fins and use a kayak paddle so you can safely jump out without duckfeet on... May try this some day (with an open bow V-tube though).

_SHig

JasonB, here is my advice and I do this everytime I wade new and old water that I have been in plenty of times. Look down stream and see if you can find an escape route. When wading moving water always think that something might go wrong, this way you will have an idea of what direction to head incase you do slip or fall and have to go swimming. I try to pick at least 3 places down stream from where I am fishing incase I need to get to shore caused by my slipping or falling in the water. Like the Boy Scouts say "Be Prepared".

Have fun and post a report if you go.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    Hey Amoeba,

Ever drop in at Englebright in a tube and float down to 20? I know a guy who did in his DONUT tube years ago... No tresspassing if you keep below highwater right? Probably leave the fins and use a kayak paddle so you can safely jump out without duckfeet on... May try this some day (with an open bow V-tube though).

_SHig
    Shig give it a try in the tube and let us know how it goes...

http://www.cacreeks.com/yuba-low.htm here's the beta