Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Public access pushed on Yuba River near Parks Bar Bridge

Cool Public access pushed on Yuba River near Parks Bar Bridge

An encouraging article regarding access on the south side of the Yuba River below Parks Bar bridge...

http://www.willows-journal.com/news/...ba-access.html

Please know that I have been keeping an eye on the situation from afar and currently have a hand of cards to play if the need arises. Right now, I am attempting to find out who the "managing group for the easement" will actually be comprised of. It is rumored that Yuba County is getting involved and that would be a good thing for drift boat access.
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

That's certainly encouraging news - thanks for the link to the article.

Jason

Default I am confident the correct decision will be made...

thx ms. fins....:

I do think the quotes in the article, re: Mr. Wood saying he's rarely seen a vehicle on the riverbed, are misleading.

There's a bunch of vehicles on the riverbed, near and under the bridge, and a ways downstream, driving all over the place. I see them almost every time I go up there.

I'm all for pedestrian access and boat access; but that DOES NOT mean backing a trailer into the water. Want to boat? CARRY IT. Too heavy? Get some friends or a lighter boat. I just don't equate boat access as meaning you back your trailer into the river.

I am NOT for vehicular access, whether that be under the bridge to launch a boat, or driving around like you can't walk. There are far too many safety and/or environmental risks with those; and by risk - it doesn't mean it can't be done safely a large portion of the time - what it means is that a small proportion of the time, it won't be - - - and that can and will result in risks to the environment.....and you are dealing with a river - - that fluctuates in flow and hence stage (height) and flow (velocity) that make a ramp problematic - especially so when the underlaying surface is loose cobble in a river that moves it's channel every 10 years or so. So if you think that a driftboat launch involving trailers is on it's way....my guess is that it is not a simple matter, and probably isn't going to ever happen. You don't need a high risk, to create a risk....if you had a problem 1 out of 1000 launches, that's still way too much.

These are the sorts of issues that the lay Public - like you and me (assuming I am public) - don't really understand and appreciate. They are issues that the local, State, and Federal Government agencies DO understand because they do this work as a living, and we pay them our taxes to be employed and know what they are doing. I, for one (and I suspect I'm not alone here), am more confident in those government employees, than I am in the sportfishing community members - - - to know the specifics, properly coordinate with private landowners and the community at large, and make an intelligent choice.

The correct decision is not necessarily the most popular.
    Last edited by amoeba; 02-28-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Mike O Guest

as far as people driving on the riverbed...

in my experience, most people are driving on the cobble which sets up above the riverbed, and is only flooded at higher flows. Is this salmon nesting habitat? it dries out during much of the year, so would it be OK to drive on when completely dry?

I don't want to see boats backed into the river, where the wheels would actually get wet and enter the aquatic environment.

Smile A little trouble launching the boat

You mean like this? Battery acid, lead, oil, grease, gasoline, fishing gear, wife's purse . . . At least it provided some nice structure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep  22833.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	2656   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep close  22834.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	2657  

Question Trailers in Water....

Since drift boats are launched all the time on the Yuba, the point about boats backed into the river or wheels in the water doesn't make sense to me. Are these boaters/drifters carrying the boat to the water, currently So, are you guys saying that you'd object to a concrete launch ramp or boaters attempting any launch whatever/wherever in that area
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Since drift boats are launched all the time on the Yuba, the point about boats backed into the river or wheels in the water doesn't make sense to me. Are these boaters/drifters carrying the boat to the water, currently So, are you guys saying that you'd object to a concrete launch ramp or boaters attempting any launch whatever/wherever in that area
    What you say above (in bold) is precisely the problem, namely, people backing trailers down the cobble bar, and thinking it isn't a problem. As far as concrete ramps, and associated places to park the additional trailers.....ain't gonna happen.....for many reasons - - - not the least of which is that there is no stable foundation for such a ramp and it cannot be built. The current activity below the 20 bridge IS the problem, and it IS going to be stopped. It wouldn't matter if the property owners were YOA, or Western Aggregates, or some fishing club that wanted to let any and everybody drive a trailer around. It just isn't a safe activity for this particular location, and it can't be made that way. What is going on out there right now is just plain nutz.

Like I said, this won't be a popular decision, particularly for those who think backing a trailer into the Yuba River is going to continue. It won't continue, and not because I say so, it's because CDFG, Yuba County, FWS, NMFS, and SYRCL will tell you so - and fund a project to put up a cable/guardrail/similar physical barrier to stop it - and in turn obtain an agreement from Western Aggregates to allow pedestrian access. That will include driftboats - so the best thing to do is round up some buddies to help you carry them.

I will be among the minority of non-whiners on this one.

Question Launch Ramps....

Nice rant. I gather from the gist of it that you would object to a concrete launch ramp in that area.... And, I do not share your opinion about whether such a ramp could be constructed in that area.

BTW, it must be nice to be the spokesperson for all of those organizations whose initials you cited. Frankly, I'd rather hear what they think or have to say about it from them.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I just stumbled into this thread, and I didn't read the article (and not going to) but am I missing something here?

There's concern about backing a trailer into the Yuba for a few minutes to launch a boat? Seriously? Is there something special about this river that is different than any other river up and down the state? What about Englebright Lake above the river? Should we not be allowed to launch recreational boats at Englebright Lake Marina upstream?

One probably leaks more oil from their car and leaves more rubber from tires that eventually washes into the river by driving DAILY to and from work on the roadway than they will from launching their boat in a river a FEW times a year.

And there's no objection to launching boats... as long as we carry them to the river? Huh?

Using this logic, we should carry our cars to work instead of driving them? After all, we could buy lighter cars or car pool with real strong coworkers to help us carry them. I don't get it. This logic is over my head.

And I'm no engineer, but my guess would be if you can build a bridge over a river, you can build a ramp on one.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Default boats

I'm still trying to line up 20 buddies to help carry my drift boat down to the river. All you have to do is drive to the Yuba help me and then you can go home. Simple as that...