Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abel $50.00 Nipper report from fly fishing guides!

Default Abel $50.00 Nipper report from fly fishing guides!

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I think Ill spend my excess money in other ways. lol

-but Im sure theyre amazing nippers

Quote Originally Posted by Dan LeCount View Post
    I think Ill spend my excess money in other ways. lol

-but Im sure theyre amazing nippers
    ...if you're looking for other ways, you could also look at the "high end nippers" that go for $100, or the $300 pocket knife that they also sell? That would work out to $100 per inch!!!
    I am sure that they MUST have some amazingly sharp durable edges on them. Still at those kinds of prices, that would add up to dozens of flies that I could donate to the river rocks and the bushes, which affords me at least an extra day or so of fishing...
    JB

The marketing hype being perpetuated in the FF industry continues to amaze & amuse me to no end!!!!

They're just jewelry.

They work well, and they look purty. Period.

Mike O Guest

and how many of those who reviewed them had them comped? I have no prob with the nippers, just the INSANE price point.

I didn't get comped but my observation would be the same either way - they're crap. Lisa and I gave each other a pair for our anniversary (great minds think alike). They are gorgeous, however the accolades stop there. The jaws are held by micro screws that simply are not up to the task. I have used Loc-Tite and overwhelming screwdriver persuasion, but somehow the jaws still wriggle loose and develop a mis match or overbite. The return spring is a machining work of wonder but the tolerances are so close that grit cause the nips to grind on the rebound or simply lock up. Abel generally makes great stuff but these are a case of over engineering a mousetrap. I have gone back to my $6.00 nippers which have lasted years without a hiccup.

My teeth still work pretty well for everything less than 20# Maxima...and I always know where they are.

Smile

Ralph, if you are paying $6 for nippers you are paying too much. They probably cost $1.49 at Walmart or any other place.

Default Wal Mart $1.49 nippers (finger or toe nail clippers)

The only complaint I have about the above mentioned product is that it lasts far longer than the ~ 200 outings an item of gear is pre-determined to last according to current "production industry standards"...

I always "sport" the latest product but when it fails or falls off, I resort to simplicity- my nail-clippers. I am always amazed and quite pleased that my "back-up" device is far superior to the one marketed to "fly fishers"...