Thread: Best area to chase steel mid-april? Oregon? Very north Norcal?

Default Best area to chase steel mid-april? Oregon? Very north Norcal?

Hey guys, I am still trying to figure out the different runs of fish here in Northern California. I am looking at doing a trip in mid April, which I know to be the spring run. But I am trying to figure out where would the best place to go would be. We are thinking of doing an RV/Camping trip and right now planning to head to Medford and hitting the Rogue. As of now, we don't have a float boat, so it would be wading and fishing. Our hope would be to get into some steelhead, but would also be open to some large rainbows/brown. Any input would be greatly appreciated! (There's also a temptation to chase huge rainbows and browns in the shallows of South Lake Tahoe). Thanks a ton for reading this!

Schurmo

Do some research on the regulations, many areas close in April for steelhead.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Ditto what Bruce said, most steelie water is closed in April. But not all of them! The Feather is perhaps one of the best springer fisheries in the state, and most of the Central Valley rivers have good springer runs. And are open to fishing!

We get a fair spring run on the Lower American River too.

Many of the valley rivers have a little spring run....

The Lower Feather River is usually the best salmon and steelhead river in the valley.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Upper Rogue River is a good place to be in mid April. The winter run is later than most rivers in California.

Thanks for the input guys, I have never been to Oregon but have always wanted to get up there. I am excited for some exploration on new waters! If you have some info that you would love to share about the area, but don't want to post it, you can pm me as well. Thanks again!

Default new waters

One of the best investments for you would to purchase a Stream Time map(s) - most
    major Ca rivers as well as the Rogue are covered. Under $10 each. Click on the link
    above to Kiene's Spey Shop. Well worth the cost.
    Larry S