Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stinson Beach surf action

Default Stinson Beach surf action

Spent a beautiful day in the foggy misty rainy surf on Stinson Beach and loved it. The fishing was not red hot but we caught fish and had a great time. I joined Mark around 10:30 to fish the end of the out going tide and then the incoming til near dark. I caught all barred perch and Mark got barred as well as a few walleyed perch. We both got a crab and this year they were bigger, I forgot my crab measurer so I am not sure if they were keepers, but I think mine would have been. Next time I am taking a pot and a stove and hope to catch more and cook them up for lunch there on the beach. We got hit by the rain around 4 but was able to walk back down the beach and got out of the rain and the wind. This year I plan on doing alot more surf fishing, I am going to get my first striper in the surf this year for sure. It is only a little over a 2 hour drive so for me that is nothing.

A little American history

Looking down at Stinson

Looking up beach

Looking out to the ocean

Looking down beach

Mark with his trusty two hander

So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Hi Scott - great post and well done. Would you mind posting the tackle you are using (weight of rod, type of fly line, etc.)?

Thanks,

Pete

Thumbs up Surf's Uuuuup....

Looks like you had a great trip. Lotsa fun over there in a beautiful setting. Stinson's a good place to get a chance at a Striper. Gotta get my gear out and ready. I'm finally mobile again and ready to go.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Pete I was using a 7 weight with a T-14 shooting head. Next time I will use a shooting head of T-8 to keep off the bottom. I think that will be the perfect setup. I will post pics of the flies that Mark gave me and in my 3 fly setup it was the only fly hit.

Darian I will let you know when the stripers show up. I plan on doing alot of surf fishing this year. Atleast every other weekend. Plus having Mark as a friend he is passing on some great knowledge to me.

Nice work out there guys, looks like a good time! Stinson is probably the most consistent beach on our section of coast for perch and stripers, as a ton of fish reside in that bay and it has a lot of protection from bad weather so it is fishable when a lot of beaches are a down right butt kicking. I remember a couple years ago Mark had a streak down at the south end sticking stripers on like 4 consecutive trips. tight lines -Loren

Great stuff Scott. I love standing in the surf with nothing in front of you but the ocean . . . I always found it very peaceful and catching a fish was always a nice bonus. Looking forward to seeing that fly that worked for you.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Scott,
    Ain't it a hoot!
    Great report.
    Our club did a "beach assault" Saturday AM for the outgo at Salmon Creek. I think the highlight was seeing Heather, a "beach newbie", experience success on her first such outing.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/russia...s/message/6229
    ....lee s.

Nice post Scott. Way north of my stomping grounds in Morro Bay. Wish we had some stripers! Looks like I am going to be able to get back into the surf in a couple of weeks. Just enough time to wrap a few bugs. Anyone care to share some good ties?

Congrats Scotty! Stay safe out there partner.
    Cheers, Ken

PS: Lee S. it's good to see ya having fun in the suds (surf that is).
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!