Thread: flooring for my Jon Boat ?

Default flooring for my Jon Boat ?

I am thinking about 1/8 aluminum diamond plate . I need something that does not soak up water and get heavy , i will be using it a lot for duck hunting in the rain and snow . Another option is ply wood and water proofing it . Is treated plywood water proof or just Rot proof ?
    Thanks ,
    Rob

I bought a couple rubber kitchen mats, about 30'' by 60'', and they work great for my jon boat floor. They are really good for traction, easy to clean, lightweight, and also easy to cut if you want to customize.

Will

Check out tinboats.net for ideas and information. Some very nice boats are shown on the site. Bill

Default Truck Bed Matting

Like "Trinity" I suggest you use some sort of rubber matting. You can get some very good quality rubber matting used for truck beds that you can cut to fit. Aluminum diamond plate is great for some applications but the weight factor is not good and it may be much slipperier than one would think when it is wet and cold.

Default Go Foam

I concur with Will, I put in the foam. Its super light, cleans easy, easy on the feet, and it is warmer. Metal transfers the cold. When my feet are warm and comfortable, I am too. Also, it absorbs noise, metal transfers the noise, and who wants to spook the fish?
    Another Will

Are you guys talking about a Closed Cell Foam , cutting it into peaces and putting them between the ribs ??

Thanks ,
    RobK.

My boat has a flat floor, so it was easy to just lay the rubber mats down. Whatever you choose, I recommend keeping it light.

when with foam !!

I ended up putting 2'' thick squares of closed cell foam between the ribs. then put a 42''x42'' sheet of 1'' black foam over the squares . It worked out great , very light , water proof and insulated . Any water that gets in the boat will sit under the foam . I left spaces between the the 2'' thick squares to allow the water to drain , when i pull the rear plug .
    Last edited by RobK.; 01-30-2011 at 12:22 AM.