Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ISE Show @ Sacramento, January 20-23, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Jerry,.... Not sure anyone billed this show as a "....fly fishing show...." The vendors list has been available for some time and the lack of fly fishing activities has been discussed on this BB as well as others prior to the start of the show. I'm curious, why the disappointment Lots of other neat stuff to do/see. How about the dogs and meeting new and old friends there I've always enjoyed them....
    I agree..... these shows do provide the list of vendors, programs, and activites that allow the "buyer" understand what to expect for their $25 which I believe includes the price of parking?

Some go, some don't..... I'm sure that those who chose to go make the most of it and enjoy it, etc. My kids love to crawl all over those Rangers while I imagine owning them, etc.

All I know is that today was about as beautiful a day as we can have in the 916 area code for January...... I'm sure those that elected to go today (a lot of families) probably enjoyed themselves.... I'm not going to attend this year due to other committments.

There is no longer an ISE in the bay area so the Sacramento Show is carrying the "torch". IMO, without the show, hunters/fisherman sink further into the abyss of insignificance in CA.

As aside, those disappointed with the FF turnout..... This may come as a surprise to you, but (whisper ) the flyfishing industry is not that big....... I know, hard to believe.... And, if you desire to be part of something bigger..... buy an iPad.

In the meantime, the advances in flyfishing products (list prices too ) astounds me from just 10 years ago.....
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 01-23-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Default I sure had fun!

Been going to these events for years and I, for one, was not disappointed in the least.
    Saw many old friends today- Chris King, Scott; Jamie Lyle and Bill Lowe, Sage; Gary Anderson and Al Perryman, Anderson Custom Rods, Amy Hazel, Deschutes Angler.

I learned a ton about new products and was able to try them out with a little patience due to the limited opportunities to cast on water.

My only regret was that Jeff Putnam was asked to demonstrate casting without water... to me that hardly seems fair?

Kudos to the exhibitors attending... you made my trip very worthwhile!
    With the uncertain economy, perhaps "survival of the fittest", or "only the strong survive" applies... I am grateful for what I was able to experience today. Thank you!

Cool Great time!

It seems to me that it is much bigger this year than last BECAUSE they didn't do the San Mateo show. Last year some of the boat pavillion booth were empty - Not so this year... That building was PACKED. I had to go find the Garlic Festival guy [usually in the pavillion] in the HUNTING building!

I volunteered at the Federation's learning center in the hallway between C & D - and it was pretty much non-stop action, especially with the youth fair and their parents in building D. The council's objective is to introduce those who've never fly fished or always wanted to, to the sport, and that is exactly what we did . LOVED helping the kids to learn how to cast... I had a 4 yr old that did better than most!!!!!

True - the number of FF vendors has been depleted, and the demo fly-tying isn't there this year... a huge disappointment to us, as hubby is usually on that roster. However, a few clubs/vendors were tying [CFFU, GBF, NCCFFF] and doing casting instruction [NCCFFF, TU, Orvis] for those who were interested. Shoot - Fly-fishing specialties had 5 booths for their exhibit! There are still fly-fishing 'theaters' where well-known people in the industry are speaking about the sport [Mike Costello for one] and the science, and LOTS of travel vendors and a few guides that are ready and waiting to sell you a trip to a fly-fishing destination.

I saw PLENTY of friends and people I knew - so, maybe it depends on one's exposure in the industry as to whether you will see people to chat with. Bill and Marilyn were in the Orvis booth helping with the casting instruction. I chatted with Marilyn quite awhile [sorry I missed you Bill - apparently, you'd just headed outside with a student... LOL]. California Fly Shop and American FF are there [plenty of friends there too]. I, too, saw Jamie Lyle, Richard Anderson [ CA FF mag], my FAVORITE FF artist - Kevin Pack, friends in the CFFU booth, lots of friends in the GBF booth [of course]....

IMHO - I don't think they did too bad for themselves, with the exception of the elimination of the fly tyers. If enough of us notify ISE of our displeasure, I am sure that some one will listen. The gentlemen that oversaw that whole part of the event actually became quite ill last year and recently passed away - so I'm sure that has something to do with it, besides the supposed budgeting issue. Maybe they'll find a new person to head that part for next year [if they are smart ].

Well, I have to get off of here - I'm scheduled in the NCCFFF learning center again this morning, 10-1.... got more gear/bait fishers to corrupt!
    Last edited by Mrs.Finsallaround; 01-23-2011 at 09:07 AM.
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

"The gentlemen that oversaw that whole part of the event actually became quite ill last year and recently passed away - so I'm sure that has something to do with it, besides the supposed budgeting issue."

Pete was informed some time ago that ISE was no longer going to sponsor fly tying in any form at their shows. ISE stands for profit, which seems to be the way many such businesses are going. I can't blame them but I also can't support that ideal either. I'll keep my money to spend at local shops instead of enrichening their coffers.

To get to see new products, demonstrations, etc, I will attend FFF events that have the same good qualities we remember from the past at a lot lower price. I keep in regular touch with my friends and I don't depend on shows to get to see them.

Just to be clear, I'm not the same person as "Frequent_Flyer" and have a different opinion.

The Sacto ISE show is just plain poor. I've been to many shows around the country and for over 20 years, some all fly fishing and others where fly fishing is just part of the show, and this one has a bare minimum of fly fishing to call itself a fly fishing show. ISE has no allegiance to or feeling for fly fishing as Ed Rice, ISE founder did.

In reality, the only thing that keeps the flyfishing part of ISE barely alive is the attempt by the manufacturers trade association (AFFTA) to push ISE as an alternative to the Flyfishing Show (Pleasanton). It's a vindictive move intended to punish the promoter of the Flyfishing Show. AFFTA tried to push fly fishing at the San Mateo show as a direct and nearby challenge to Pleasanton, but when the San Mateo ISE show failed completely, AFFTA had to move their effort this year to ISE's Sacramento show. They had done the same thing in Denver, intentionally scheduling an AFFTA show at the same time as the Denver Fly Fishing Show, causing public confusion, split attendance, a dilemma for exhibitors and a general mess. The AFFTA show there failed too, and the Flyfishing Show survived.

So, back to Sacramento, where AFFTA had a coveted booth on the casting pond. The hall was not particularly large, but only maybe half full with fly fishing-related businesses. They had to fill the hall with the knife-sharpeners, Alaska halibut operations and Popiel Pocket Fisherman-type booths

•Where were Simms, Patagonia, Winston, Loomis, Orvis (yes, in an unrelated building) major reel manufacturers, fly fishing accessories and luggage makers, fly tying suppliers, flyfishing travel and lodge businesses, etc., etc.? Not there.

•Where were the national fly fishing "celebrities" and speakers? Not there. (The local guys were very good, but the choice of big names v. local experts reflects a lack of emphasis).

•Fly tying? Not there.

•Theater for presentations? A corner of the building with minimal chairs and not even a curtain to screen out the crowd noise or lights from the rest of the hall. Barely there.

I'm very interested in all things fly fishing, and was prepared to spend the whole day at the show, but after walking around for three hours, couldn't find anything else to see or do.

I hope AFFTA didn't get its members together again this year to boycott the Pleasanton show (and other Fly Fishing Shows). The result is the lousy ISE shows and diminished Flyfishing Shows - a real loss for the fly fishing public and the sport in general - all because the manufacturers' association, AFFTA, harbors a grudge against a show operator.

I have no affiliation with the Flyfishing Show or any other, but just hate to see the fly fishing public victimized by the misguided fly tackle manufacturers and their vindictive trade association.
    Last edited by frequent flyer; 01-23-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Different from the frequent flyer above.
    I just was commenting on how many activities there are for kids. It was the first outdoor show I have ever attended. I would of liked to see pro demonstrations on fly tying and fly fishing the valley and sierras and less booths trying to get you to go up to Alaska. So next year I know what show I shouldn't spend my money on.

I got to hit on April Vokey, money well spent.

Default show

Aaron:
    You dog you.
    Catch and release?
    Larry S

Default Yo, Aaron, Eat My Dust!

I get to spend a WEEK with April at Blackwell's on the Dean, next July...

In addition to being a consummate professional, tying, fishing, she is a down to earth genuinely fun person, and, OK!!! pretty easy on the eyes as well...

Default April

I spent some time talking to April about the Dean as well. She is just down right a sweet heart, boy what a wife she would make too....Some fishin partner EH!!!