Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ISE Show @ Sacramento, January 20-23, 2011

Default at least sage/scott showed, but other's bleeped out

went last thursday:

Rather vacant, and not worth $25 (more than five kings tickets on stubhub)....although sage showed (after absence last yr), and scott returned (and I found Loomis too - in the gear section) ....no TFO, Winston, de minimus reels, no Hill's discount flies, reduced flytying presentations and tyers, what the heck?

And - the manufacturers there tell me they are questioning this whole fish show approach (that from the ones that showed!). For me - from Sacramento - it puzzles me, since not every shop carries all the rods; and I liked to try out some things on a pond instead of a parking lot. Vendors themselves point to the cost of these shows; at some point - the ISE may have to pay the vendors to show up or they won't have a show.

BTW, altho the FFS in Pleasanton was the better - it too had declined in terms of number of vendors; and if memory serves - didn't even have a show scheduled for Seattle last yr.

The best of either of these (FFS, ISE) was maybe 4 years ago. Not so slow decline in show quality since then and, I suspect, attendance.
    Last edited by amoeba; 01-24-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling

TFO was there, I got to play with the 9 and 10 weight BVK rods.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Wink

Aaron... did you offer April a swig of JD?
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    TFO was there, I got to play with the 9 and 10 weight BVK rods.
    Didn't see them on thursday, did 3 laps around the flyfishing hall and no TFO.

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    Didn't see them on thursday, did 3 laps around the flyfishing hall and no TFO.

They were right next to the casting pond in the middle.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Fads keep flyfishing manufacturers and retailers going. Its hard to survive in the industry. One is in business to stay in business. Period.

OnCe you have a few rods, a few lines...hooks and good tying materials....you rarely have to go back to a fly shop. I find most if my visits are centered around wader repair.

I am afraid of the day when the rods that will be available in 9 feet will only be under a 6 weight and over a 9 weight. General steelhead rods marketed will by switch or spey(DH) and that would be a damn shame....
    Last edited by FlyReelFisher; 01-26-2011 at 10:40 AM.