Thread: Thinking of Spring and Etna....?

Default Thinking of Spring and Etna....?

Is there and information anyone would be willing to share about Patterson Creek, near Etna? Creeks nearby?

A family member just moved there and I will be going there in the late spring/early summer. Nothing about that particular piece of water in the DFG regs except that it is a tributary to the Scott which makes it a tributary to the Klamath....which makes it confusing as all-get-out!

I am just hoping it is open to fish not believing it will be any sort of "trophy trout" water or someone's spectacularly secret spot, too small and too accessible for either of those.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Default Don't know about Patterson Creek specifically but

most tribs to steehead rivers (klamath area) are closed by default.

Relevant section of DFG Regs:

"All anadromous waters of the Klamath River Basin are closed to all fishing
    for all year except those areas listed in the following table. Bag limits are for
    trout and Chinook salmon in combination unless otherwise specified"

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/
    Supplement to the 2010-2011 California Fishing Regulations

So unless there is a natural or man-made obstruction that prevents access by anadromous
    fish it is likely closed.
    I think there is a portion of Enta Creek that is open, have not fished it but I have heard it talked about.
    You can try to call DFG (Redding) and ask about that creek.

I asked Gene, from Mean Gene's store in Etna about the creeks in the valley a few years ago. He said in good water years they all get salmon in them.

Etna brewing co. in Etna makes some terrific beers.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Etna

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post

Etna brewing co. in Etna makes some terrific beers.

Ed
    That in itself could be reason to check it out. Isn't the Sugar Creek Ranch near there? I'm not a big fan of Pay-to-Fish waters, but this place could be an exeption. They have a winter special that sounds pretty reasonable; 2 days fishing including the use of a cabin to stay in for $250.
    It's also a short trip to the Upper K and Rogue from there.....................
    Robert

Default waters

The Klamath-Trinity watershed has a separate DFG booklet.

Lots of closures during salmon season.

Best of luck and post your experiences.

Larry S

Default Re: "Thinking of Spring"

The deal up here on the tribs of the Scott (south of Ft. Jones)is that they are open to fishing above the point at which anadromous fish spawn. DFG has these points established and printed on a list (obtained mine from the local warden). Steelhead will travel a long way up even the smallest streams, so the closure points don't leave much water to fish in. I suggest you try one of the numerous mountain lakes or the Upper Sac or McCloud.