Thread: Pike Place Fish Market pull steelhead

Default Pike Place Fish Market pull steelhead

I thought this was kind of cool to read. I have seen video of the OP steelhead gill netted and maybe actions like PPFM will help slowdown commercial fishing of steelhead.

http://pikeplacefishguys.blogspot.co...d-at-ppfm.html

There will be more of this kind of action by retailers. I posted a link in the "Conservation" area about Fishwise, a non profit working to bring these kinds of things to fruition. They have an agreement with Safeway, along with other smaller retailers, to assure fish for sale is taken from sustainable fisheries. I believe it will be a growing movement. Not THE answer, but part of it.

It is encouraging...thanks for posting.

-Mike

Default I have a question

It seems that in the press release they have eluded to making shift in terms of supplying fish from "sustainable fisheries". And in the second post Safeway was mentioned as having already gone in that direction. Now just from personal observation while shopping I noticed that Safeway (along with many store chains) carries a great deal of "farm raised" fish with color added. Several years ago I had been led to believe that aquaculture was somewhat invasive to the species of fish being raised as well as some negative environmental impacts. Basically the aquatic equivalent of high density cattle farming right down to the fish stock being fed corn.

My question......is this still the case or has something changed to shift the perception of whether aquaculture was positive or negative? Obviously it would take pressure off the wild fisheries but I remember reading several articles describing some of the negative impacts and it seemed like a pandora's box. Just look at all the issues coming to light in recent time with the way 90% of our food has been mass produced....the same goes with the mass production of fish. Any thoughts?

This is just wonderful!