Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about Elk Grove (Laguna West/Lakeside)

Default Anyone know anything about Elk Grove (Laguna West/Lakeside)

I live in lakeside/laguna west and have for the last 8 years.

I've never fly-fished for bass, to be honest, only trout and steelies.

I see TONS of people fishing these lakes for bass, all the time. apparently there are some really big fish in these lakes.

Anyone have any beta on this area?

Want to show a newbie the ropes?

Those ponds have giants in them. I know of multiple fish over 10lbs out of there. They eat golden shiners

Talking

I'll be happy to give you a hand come Springtime -

D.~

Thumbs up Elk Grove....

Jed,.... My ex lives in the Laguna area. Fishing doesn't appear to be allowed in the ponds that are around her place. Maybe these fisherman are residents or have permission to fish from a resident. That being said, I've seen some very large Bass and sunnies in them. They are treated like pets. People feed them.

There're some ponds in the area that are open to fishing and are populated with large Black Bass, Catfish and sunnies. DFG ran a warm water fish hatchery at the corner of Bond and Elk Grove-Florin(?) roads. I started my son fishing in the pond that butted up against the DFG facility. Many of those fish were stocked in local ponds for mosquito control, etc. The facility has been closed for some time now. There're some ponds that were constructed in parkways, too. Those are more likely to allow fishing. Try following Laguna Creek through the area and you'll find some deep/wide sections that have fish in them, too. Just about every little puddle down there will have some type of fish in them.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I am a resident, with access to the lakes (and a boat to fish from).

I'm open to taking someone out there if they want to show me the "goods" and how to fish for these bass....

The "monsters" thing I heard too from a couple of people.

If i'm thinking of the same ponds, there should be Koi in them also. Let me know how they fight
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Jed, I highly recommend you take David Lee up on his offer. If there's warmwater fish in there, David will know what to do and will happily set you on the right path.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Willing to trade some flies for time on the pond. Just let me know with a PM this spring. Thanks, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    Jed, I highly recommend you take David Lee up on his offer. If there's warmwater fish in there, David will know what to do and will happily set you on the right path.
    Or catch all the fish while you cast.....
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Thumbs up

Looks like Hairstacker and Ted get $$ in their Christmas cards this year ..... hehehehehe

Jed -

Bass are pretty much the same as Trout , or any other fish - they eat things smaller (usually) than themselves . Buggers , Dragonfly nymphs , small Poppers , Clousers , Leeches , whatever . Use a floater , 8-10 foot leader , dump a fly out , let it sink or float , retrieve fast/slow/steady/erratic ...... they will let you know what they want .

Use whatever rod is handy , I much prefer sticks between 4-10 wt. . Reels keep your line out of the mud , so please consider using one . Tippets should fall somewhere between 4X- and twenty pound . Starting right before March (if it isn't too cold ....) , get out and try . If you don't get bit fishing surface , try mid-depth/bottom . Fish depths from the water next to the bank to as far as you can wing a cast out to . Fly colors ?? Whatever you happen to have , try it . I'm not trying to be flip , I just want you to understand that if you've fished for anything before , you will likely do fine on Bass !

For my money , I'd start the first week of March , using a 6 wt. , a long 6-8 Lb. leader , floating line , and Dragon/Damsel nymphs or buggers in Black , Chartruse (no , not kidding), Olive , or White . Let your fly sink and strip back slowly using lots of pauses and twitches - I'll be shocked if you don't catch Bass on your first trip out .

Good hunting !!

D.~