Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American River up to 10K 12/14!

Quote Originally Posted by bclem81 View Post
    I was just at Watt Ave when channel 3 news interviewed a guy in regards to Folsom and the amount of water coming out of it as well as myself about the fishing with these flows. I did get some info on why the flows are so high. From what I was told is that Folsom is higher than its been is years this time of year, and they are taking precations due to the upcoming big storms that are coming in as well as the snow run off that we will have throughout winter. So letting this water out is to make sure that there is enough room in the lake for an onslaught of water that will be coming in.

Here is a link

http://www.kcra.com/video/26132984/detail.html

Thanks a bunch George I was just about to post that link. I will be on the 5 oclock news. It was pretty cool watching the river flowing that high, and still rising as I was doing my interview and watching them do the other one. But what sucks is all those eggs that will not survive these high flows. There have been many more salmon spawning below the power lines this yr than in the past 5yrs combined. Its an awesome site to see, but these flows screwed that all up.

As far as the flows go, it may be alright. I was concerned about the redds this morning, but after my daily stroll down the river, I believe alot of the redds will survive. In respect to the many redds above the island at Saliors , (which is completly under water now) the higher, faster flows seem to be on the oppisite side of the river, and the flows on the north side, where the majority of redds are, seen even calmer than when the flows are lower. Time will tell.
    Get to whats reel

Quote Originally Posted by bclem81 View Post
    Thanks a bunch George I was just about to post that link. I will be on the 5 oclock news. It was pretty cool watching the river flowing that high, and still rising as I was doing my interview and watching them do the other one. But what sucks is all those eggs that will not survive these high flows. There have been many more salmon spawning below the power lines this yr than in the past 5yrs combined. Its an awesome site to see, but these flows screwed that all up.

Here is the link to the report with you in it

http://www.kcra.com/video/26136860/detail.html

funny, they had one on the 5pm news with me in it that was a few seconds long, then I guess they updated it and had this one on the late evening news. Its very important that people dont go out in the water, its deep, fast and muddy, you cant see anything. I wanted to fish it right at Watt where we took the interview, there are some really nice seams in the river up close to the bank, but the river is just to fast even for my taste, and I wade in just about anything.

AR just got bumped up to 30k..

stay away!!!

http://www.sacbeecom/2010/12/16/3261...acramento.html

To prepare, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation on Wednesday night doubled water releases from Folsom Dam into the American River to 30,000 cubic feet per second. The extra releases are needed to make room for new runoff.

"We're expecting some pretty good precipitation above Folsom Dam, so we're looking to evacuate that flood space," said Pete Lucero, Reclamation spokesman.

The boosted flows were expected to flood some sections of the American River Parkway, as well as portions of Discovery Park near the confluence with the Sacramento River.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/16/326...#ixzz18GiTYXbE
    Last edited by inclinejj; 12-16-2010 at 03:19 AM.