Thread: Fishing in the Los Banos Area???

Default Fishing in the Los Banos Area???

Anyone know of anyplace close to Los Banos (stillwater or moving water)? I'm going to be working down there during the week on and off for the next few months, from what I have looked into it's not looking good. PM's always welcome.

Dan

Question Los Banos....

I kinda thought someone who knows that area better than me would respond, but....

How about San Luis Reservoir or the forebay Stripers and Black Bass, etc....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

MarkF sent me a couple of PM's, the first was about San Luis. Only problem is my biggest rod is a 5wt. He also suggested a couple of other reservoirs near Los Banos, not sure if they are "secret" so I won't list their names although I think they are public knowledge. I may give one a try, just have to figure out logistics of getting there.

Dan

One of the largest stripers ever landed came out of ONeill Forebay several years ago. It turned the guys float tube into an impromptu ski boat!

Steve

The Merced River is open after 1/1, I think.

dan,

we have the big louie (san luis), the o'neill forebay and los banos creek reservoir. To get to LBR you take Volta road and I thinks it's about 7 miles from the highway. It's hell to find if the tule fog is on the deck. If I'm not mistaken, they plant trout in the winter time.
    what's your means of water transportation?

Jay

Default Lots of Water at the Wildlife Refuge

With a 5 wt., the various waterways and ponds in the wildlife area might be more conducive. If you're with a group of folks, make sure you go to the Basque restarurant there.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region4/losbanos.html

Jay,

I have a float tube. The LBR looks close to where I will be staying so maybe I'll give it a shot. We will have 2 vehicles for 4 of us (Survey crews) so I need to make sure I can use a vehicle in the evening, and not the one with the equipment in it (very expensive stuff). Probably won't try next week, maybe the week after? I will be down there on and off for a week at a time over the next few months.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi View Post
    dan,

we have the big louie (san luis), the o'neill forebay and los banos creek reservoir. To get to LBR you take Volta road and I thinks it's about 7 miles from the highway. It's hell to find if the tule fog is on the deck. If I'm not mistaken, they plant trout in the winter time.
    what's your means of water transportation?

Jay

Default los banos reservoir

Is Los Banos Reservoir still being stocked with trout??? I'm not sure it is. Might be good to check. Even if not, there are probably holdovers in there.

Betty