Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Make your own Switch rods.....?

very cool - I am sure you will love it

I recently reworked some old Sage rods into switch rods. The #6 was 9'3". The # 8 was 9'6". I added 8" to each rod. I haven't used the #8 very much but I've used the #6 for 2 seasons and like it more than my other rods. It's very versitile. I'm using a Rio afs shooting head 4/5 with an Airflow Ridge running line. It shoots likje a rocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0034.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	2411  

Well I had a Scott STS 10ft 6wt that I was going to sell cuz I dont use it anymore, but I think its time to make it a 10'6" 6wt high sticking nymphing swinging steelhead machine. So does he replace all the cork. Say I want to have some of the composite cork put in on the upper handle like the woodmans pic on his lower handle, is that possible. I do want a whole new cork on the upper handle. Guessing that is possible to. Boy I am excited, cant wait to call him tomorrow.

I only had the extension put on. He charged me $3o, which I thoiught was very fair. Let us see the results on the full replacement.

Well 30 just for a handle is very well priced. Cant be to much more to replace the upper cork. I will be calling him tomorrow.

Default That`s a dang good deal

unless i miss my guess,that`s a Batson butt and plug.Those parts cost =/- $20,so your buddy is practically doing these conversions for free.
    BTW,I`m gearing up for some switch buildingup here in Reno,using Meiser switch blanks;2 models,one for the Truckee and one for overhead distance casting ast Pyramid....reasons for Meiser are
    1]He invested the switch
    They are rteasonably priced
    3]Mr.Meiser is a very groovy dude.

Just handed the rod off to Buff, then shot the breeze with the old timers there. Just how I pictured and old school barber shop to be. It was an awesome feel. Great conversation, and Buff ties some killer Striper Flys. I would suggest anyone to go there looking to get some rod work done.

I do have one question though. I wanted to get my western style handle on the 10ft 6wt rod change to full wells, but Buff said i would have been to much work. So decided not to get it done. Is there a method I could use to get the handle from a western style to a full wells, where it will be comfortable in my hands. not that it isnt now, its just after fishing that handle on a 10ft rod after a full day the wriste is on fire.

Any advise would be awesome.

Default Removing sll that epoxy would be not pretty and probably..

..not be cost efficient...but,how about adding an extension on to the butt
    and turning it into a switch?No more wrist problems if you divide the stress in two,right?

Default Check the 3 1/2" extension here..

Very helpful thread. Took my first spey class last weekend on the American and really liked it. Think I will add the butt extension to my 10ft 6wt myself since don't live in Sacramento. The only downside I see to the modification is no rod repair should it break in future, as mfg'er won't likely do a repair to modified rod.