Thread: Delta Report 11-28-10 Wow

Default Delta Report 11-28-10 Wow

Went to the Delta this morning with a good friend who has the striper bug real bad. His last few trips out were tough, to say the least. He farmed a trophy last time out with me, and got skunked on his next venture out with another friend. He was feeling a little low about his striper mojo, but I kept telling him that every trip to the Delta is a learning experience and it is a privilege to just be able to get out there. Well, we put in at first light and ran for about 10 very cold minutes to our first stop. Right from the start, I could see that we were very lucky. We saw some birds working in an area that was near the end of a dead end slough/bay. We started to fish about a 1000 yards from the end and hooked a few 2 # ers. What happened next is something all Striper Addicts dream of! Near the end of this body of water was an amazing explosion of biology. I am not exaggerating! We found at least 50 gulls working and diving, and a flock of probably 75 to 100 cormorants in the water diving and chasing what must have been a huge school of shad into the shallows. There were at least 50 egrets and herons strutting the shoreline, taking turns clumsily diving into the middle of the mix. We immediately headed towards all of this commotion and noticed over head there were 30 or so terns quickly heading to the same place we were. As we got closer, we could see what was going on. Somebody rang the dinner bell big time and there were good sized stripers busting all around us. It was freek'n amazing what was happening. I grabbed my Redington CPX loaded with an OBS intermediate with a FoxxyMinnow in yellow and started getting into the fish real good. The fish were not big but lots of hard pulling 4#, 5# fish with an 8# and a 7# being our best. My fishing partner, Andy, was throwing my Sage XI3 with a Rio 250 grn with a small AirHead tied on, and was having the time of his life. We stayed in the area and chased the birds and fish for about an hour before a family of otters arrived at the party and shut things down. It was awesome! We landed 25 fish and only 4 were undersized...1.5 #ers. We had 3 double hook ups and Andy had a pair of back-to-backs. He outfished me 15 to 10! Got the monkey off his back. We had to be off the water by 10:00, but I will never forget the show I saw this morning for a long time. I'll be back on Tuesday for sure.
    Hatch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-28-10----1.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	2316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-28-10-----2.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	2317   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-28-10---3.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	2318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-28-10----4.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	2319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-28-10---5.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	2320  

Being the other half of this amazing morning I might add that I've never seen stripers on top like I did today. It was truly the most intense hour+ of striper fishing I've ever experienced because the fish were busting on top on all sides, the birds were diving, the wind was down and they all were keepers! But I must admit the highlight of my day was after I returned home from the store and saw my rods lying peacefully in my driveway. I had left them standing up against the back of my car and forgotten about them, when I reversed out of the driveway on my way to the store they must have fallen straight backward - I drove over them - cleanly passing over them and thus NOT destroying the equipment that allows me to chase my dreams and my passion for a variety of fish that was abundantly present this morning.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Being the other half of this amazing morning I might add that I've never seen stripers on top like I did today. It was truly the most intense hour+ of striper fishing I've ever experienced because the fish were busting on top on all sides, the birds were diving, the wind was down and they all were keepers! But I must admit the highlight of my day was after I returned home from the store and saw my rods lying peacefully in my driveway. I had left them standing up against the back of my car and forgotten about them, when I reversed out of the driveway on my way to the store they must have fallen straight backward - I drove over them - cleanly passing over them and thus NOT destroying the equipment that allows me to chase my dreams and my passion for a variety of fish that was abundantly present this morning.
    The fish God's smiled on you.

Duuuuuude, go buy a lottery ticket, RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

OOOOHHH...AAAAAAHH.
    Excuse while I change.

Could not dream of a better day.