Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reno Fly Shop closing

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Laskodi View Post
    Well, to answer the question of what reps and what companies pulled my dealer contracts when I started my going out of business sale for my old fly shop would be a rather long list! They ALL did, with one notable exception. And I do have to give a ginormous attaboy to Hutch from Orvis, as he was the only rep/company that did not. It was quite a refreshing attitude change from Hutch/Orvis after all the other reps/companies treated me like a leper! Hutch even went so far as to offer helpful tips on how to conduct my sale to minimizing my losses, while all the others just offered their opinions as to how I was dirt bag scum monger and killing off all the other fly shops by doing a going out of business sale.
    What is the purpose of pulling your dealer contract when you were already pulling it because you were going out of business? What a waste of time for them. A little sympathy would of been decent.

I can't believe someone has used this to bash Bob Laskodi.

And no I have never applied to Sage to be a rep. Nor have I called Bill Kiene names. I DID contact Bill to offer him condolences

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Laskodi View Post
    Well, to answer the question of what reps and what companies pulled my dealer contracts when I started my going out of business sale for my old fly shop would be a rather long list! They ALL did, with one notable exception. And I do have to give a ginormous attaboy to Hutch from Orvis, as he was the only rep/company that did not. It was quite a refreshing attitude change from Hutch/Orvis after all the other reps/companies treated me like a leper! Hutch even went so far as to offer helpful tips on how to conduct my sale to minimizing my losses, while all the others just offered their opinions as to how I was dirt bag scum monger and killing off all the other fly shops by doing a going out of business sale.

That's really unfortunate Bob. So far in the Reno Shop ordeal, the reps have been very supportive. I must concur though, Hutch was an awesome guy in all my interactions with him, thing is, pretty much all the main tackle reps for this area are as far as that goes. Whether Jaimee, J-Lo, Daryn, Dale or John Sherman, they're all really stand-up guys. I've known Jaimee for almost 12 years now and he's pretty much a "salt of the earth" good guy. I'm kinda new around the fishing forums, and I usually keep my head low. What fly shop did you run?

"what was he supposed to do with it, eat it?...would the reps have bought it back? "
    Apparently, I was supposed to snack on the inventory for lunch! Not very digestable, but maybe I would have met the minimum daily requirement for fiber and finally made my Doc happy! And, indeed, none of the reps/companies offered to buy it back either! And Aaron, it's not sour grapes on my part. I knew that the dealer contracts would be terminated (didn't really care as I was going out of business and it didn't change a thing any ways), it's just that someone asked the question and I answered it. If it was sour grapes, I WOULD have named the reps and companies, but chose not to. However, I DID name the guy whom, IMNSHO, really handled a bad situation (for both parties) with class and dignity.

No one in their right mind would put down the investment to open a shop with the expectation of shutting it down in less than a year. The fact that it happened was no doubt a terrible, painful experience. I would have expected the dealers to at least have been sympathetic if they're human, even if the inventory had to be sold at less than retail. Perhaps Orvis, probably the only dealer that also owns retail stores, related to this tragedy better than the rest, having gone through similar experiences itself. I think it also speaks to the quality and character of their rep.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Gotcha Bob, no ill will intended. You got the full experience in what it takes to run a fly shop, that's for sure. Running a small biz in general is a lot tougher than people realize.

Bob, your contribution and replies have further distinguished yourself as the gentleman I believe you are. On the other hand, Aaron, this was hillarious: "Steve, Sage realize what a gentleman you are and make you their rep yet?" Maybe Hogeman?? Too funny.
    RFT

Damn I just read this on the RGJ website 2 minutes ago. Those were good folks over there and I always enjoyed bs'n with them. I wish them all the best.
    I still have my Sage LL 4wt and Ross Gunnison I bought from them 20 years ago or so. Broke the tip a few weeks ago at davis. Hopefully I can get a new tip.
    They always gave good service and took care of their customers and were nice and friendly.
    I have purchased tons and tons of fly tying stuff from them over the last many decades and I have been in the big box stores in reno and I did not see any price difference in tying materials.
    I talked to dave a few months ago and we talked a bit about the current business environment. I hadn't been in there for a while because I have all the crap I need. I just pop in to restock on hooks for tying and buy a few odd flyting stuff that I don't already have which is few and far between unless it is something new that comes on the market. And he mentioned that that was the case for a lot of folks that not too many are buying new rods and reels and stuff because most folks have all the gear they need.

Tough times. I'll miss this shop.
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 12-01-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Default Reno Fly Shop Appreciation Day

Several of the conservation/fly fishing groups in Reno and Lake Tahoe area are putting together an Appreciation Day BBQ for Dave and the staff at Reno Fly Shop this coming Saturday afternoon Dec 19th. Everyone is welcome to come by and show some support for this great local resource that we are losing.

Cheers.
    "Someone just back of you while you are fishing is just as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you are writing a letter to your girl." - E. Hemingway

At the fly shop I assume?
    RFT

I'm sorry. Yes at the fly shop.
    "Someone just back of you while you are fishing is just as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you are writing a letter to your girl." - E. Hemingway