Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reno Fly Shop closing

Hey Neck Fat, I walked into the Reno Fly Shop plenty of times when the guy working in the shop was sitting down tying flys for the bins. I know Dan ties a ton of flys for the shop. If you don't think there is a difference between the 99 cent flys at the large stores and the flys at your local fly shop you are not paying attention. I will admit, there are times when its tough to get to the shop instead of Scheels, Cabelas, or Sportmans, but I always tried to go out of my way support the shop as much as I could. It will be a big loss for Reno when the shop closes. I wish Dave the best.

Mao and Spec you both buy flies at box store so why the anger. The time of local know how in flie tying is gone. I tie my own. Flie shops today just sell vacatons or private acess or guides. I dont need that.

Yah I come here and others because braggers tell where how. Dont be mad about it.

Sounds to me like the fat goes from the neck to the head. The Reno Fly Shop hasn't done it to themselves. As much as anything, our city pounded the final nail in their coffin when they passed the "Star" bonds initiatives for the big "attraction" stores like Cabela's and Scheels, giving them an immediate and unfair competitive advantage. Sportsmans Warehouse opened up just blocks from Dave & put added pressure on their retail results. I've been to all of these stores & I've talked to representatives from all of them. I live in Reno & know that Dave and his staff understood the fishing better than any of the others. The clearly understood the difference in product, and stood behind their sales. They sponsored fly tying classes & gave sound advice about where and how to fish elsewhere. They were complimentary toward other shops and often times referred their customers to shops in other areas. Their (RFS) pricing wasn't much different than the others either...but the others have the resources to withstand the current economic climate. You come across as a know it all who never took the time to pay attention in school to even understand how to spell correctly and then come in public forum shooting your mouth off without having any idea of what has actually taken place, and why. Your argument loses creditbility when you fail to express yourself intelligently.
    RFT

Quote Originally Posted by neck fat View Post
    Mao and Spec you both buy flies at box store so why the anger. The time of local know how in flie tying is gone. I tie my own. Flie shops today just sell vacatons or private acess or guides. I dont need that.

Yah I come here and others because braggers tell where how. Dont be mad about it.
    Usually box stores buy 'seconds' from different companies and sell them for a bit less. Essentially you are buying the crap that doesn't make the cut for the real fly shops.

Local know how gone from private shops? Only selling travel and guides? I don't know where you go but this is a pretty lame statement.

You will find more books and videos in Cabelas regarding fishing for walleye and pike than you will fly fishing for trout in California or Nevada. Cabelas is in sight of the Truckee yet they don't carry a single Truckee River pattern and have only two area guidebooks on display. I have never seen a Cabelas' ad in our regional fly fishing magazine, nor have they taken out ads in the regional club newsletters. Reno Fly Shop actively supports our fly fishing community - the big box stores answer only to their directors in Nebraska.

The blame isn't entirely on the shoulders of the big boxers. Fly fishing manufactures kicked the specialty shops in their collective crotches when they decided to push their goods through the major chains, sell direct to consumers, and push product through cut rate internet sites such as redtruck.

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by neck fat View Post

no anger, you ain't worth it.
    As far as buying flies, I haven't bought a fly in 6 months, and that was a locally tied fly from the Fly Shop in Redding. I tie 99% of my own as well.

"Flie" shops sell a lot more than "acess" or guides. I can't afford that stuff either. I go to get tying materials, friendly gossip, etc. more than anything. Big boxes don't save money on the little stuff. When you count driving, and/or shipping, I find it more cost effective to buy local...the prices are not different.

And if you need "braggers" to tell you "where how" then you are the one who really needs a local fly shop. They tell the straight stuff. I much prefer to go out and find the info first hand, rather than trolling.

Mike O Guest

Aaron. In my experience, box stores sell the same stuff, for about the same prices. I usually only shop them for clearance...Cabela's ain't much cheaper than a fly shop, IMHO. Definately not enough to warrant a drive.

Ralph. You hit the nail on the head. I don't even care to go to Cabela's for FFing anymore. They don't have squat that would help someone in the local area out. BPS in Modesto is the same. I pretty much use them for hunting stuff, if I can't find it local.

Sadly, there are more people like NF, than there are the rest of the posters who will support a local fly shop. And that's why they are all closing down. Too many NF's, and not enough of the others to make the rent payment every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The blame isn't entirely on the shoulders of the big boxers. Fly fishing manufactures kicked the specialty shops in their collective crotches when they decided to push their goods through the major chains, sell direct to consumers, and push product through cut rate internet sites such as redtruck.
    Right on the money Ralph......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I hate to say it, but I haven't visited any local shops (Chico)in several years because the prices are too high. Sadly, flyfishing has become a rich mans sport.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.