Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reno Fly Shop closing

Unhappy Reno Fly Shop closing

The Reno Fly Shop is closing its doors at the end of the year. It is a very sad day for all of us who have grown up with Dave and his guys. It must be an even sadder day for his dedicated staff. THINK TWICE, no, think THREE TIMES before placing an order over the internet, from a catalog, or through a big box sporting store.

Support your local flyshop. It is not only an investment in your community, it is an investment in the personalized service only a specialty shop can, or will provide.

I'll miss these guys. Dave's a good man and a good friend. Here's a link to his notification:
    http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe5d1...&jb=ffcf14&ju=

RFT

That is too bad. Back in the mid-1980's I was spending a lot of time in Reno and therefore a lot of time in the reno Fly Shop. Great shop and great guys.

This is really sad! While its hard to pinpoint cause/effect directly, consider the following:

A big box right near Reno opens, and this shop closes;
    A big box in Manteca opens, and shops in Sonora and Arnold close.

Seems like a case study of the reality of fears many communities have regarding local merchants being devoured my huge competition.

Best wishes,
    Steve

Very bummed to see this happening. Dave and his crew were a solid part of our Western community. I hope he's able to continue with his guiding/travel business. His friendship and FF knowledge are well respected.

Can't agree more with Ralph's call to support our local shops. It's the personal relationships that make all the magic for me (the shopping certainly counts but it is without-a-doubt secondary in my mind).
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

I wish Dave the best and success with his travel business and continuing outfitting service. I first met Dave in ''79, I believe, before he purchased the shop . At that time the shop was on highway 395 in a small outdoor mall.

I concurr with both Ralph & Ken here...support your local shop...it is all about good, personal service. Yes, competing with big box stores in Reno; Cabella's, Sportsman's Wharehouse and Orvis finally took its toll. The pie is only so big when you compete for the $$$.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Default Reno Fly Shop

How sad to hear! I recently stopped in at The Chico Fly Shop on the way home from the Trinity to see about getting a cap for a classic Powell tube (the brown POB 3966 style) that I couldn't find anywhere. Not only did Larry have one, he refused any money for it. My next purchase will be from him. This service is what we'll never get from the big box stores.
    Robert

In past time I supported local fly shops. In that time flys were tied local by local fishermen. Now fly shops only stock flys tied oversees. Why buy local? You are getting the same fly at higher cost. The fly shops have done this to themselfs. Fly shops think the buyers don't notice. Tough luck!

Dave Stanely is one of the finest guys I know in this industry and I can understand him closing the shop.

First, small business in the United States has been dieing for the last 20 years or more.

Secondly, when Dave and I got in the business it was a good time to have a fly shop.

Thirdly, the fly fishing industry is very small ($$$) and it is way over distributed, especially now.

We have both had a wonderful time meeting lots of great folks and traveling to wonderful destinations all over the world.

I think 30 years is long enough for any small business with the same owners.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by neck fat View Post
    In past time I supported local fly shops. In that time flys were tied local by local fishermen. Now fly shops only stock flys tied oversees. Why buy local? You are getting the same fly at higher cost. The fly shops have done this to themselfs. Fly shops think the buyers don't notice. Tough luck!
    You know what? You got it wrong. There is no where else you can go to get better service, better intel, better friendliness.

Where is the Cabela's/Sportsman's, BPS, etc., forum board you participate in? Why are you here, if you think the shops did this to "themselfs"? Just to get the intel, etc. that you can't get at your big box stores?

You need to go back to Econ 101, neck fat. Of course the big boxes are cheaper, it's called economy of scale. The smaller shops have better service, it's called caring for the customer as a person, instead of only a price point.

I am not gonna lie, I shop at both, because sometimes I can't afford not to. I will, however, continue to shop at the smaller business end, because I just straight love the people who run them.

The end.
    maodiver