Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: SHig's Superlight Packin'tube Project

I may be interested in the Wood River bladders, too.

Quote Originally Posted by caniretireyet? View Post
    Two Questions-- can I buy stock?
    -- Have you considered dual chambers? That would add next to no weight, and would make guys like me who twice had to do the Michael Phelps fast kick on deep water.

Great Work!
    Steve
    Sorry, no IPO yet. Though I can sell you a boat from "stock" once I finish development and testing...

Second, it IS two chamber. The seat is separate and worth over 100 lbs of buoyancy. To make the "U" section of the boat twin bladder, OTOH, would require a HUGE amount of development and tooling. To make a doable home-brew 2 chamber main unit I'd chose to make it more of a V-boat - Outcast/ODC style - which is still more work, but not TOO bad I think.

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by Kneedeep View Post
    I may be interested in the Wood River bladders, too.
    These have the three separate bladders with the tube/PFD inflators right?

I think the US ones probably had vinyl bladders?

If these are the ones, they shouldn't be too bad at all to make. I'd just need a set to pattern off of.

Talk to me.

_SHig

I've had contact with the fellow across the pond about these.
    He gets $90 a set but US shipping is brutal..+$50!
    Last edited by Kneedeep; 11-23-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    The UK company that bought the Wood River design can make you bladders still. If that fails, sure, I think I can as long as I get your old ones as patterns and reuse your valves. Did the 4 lb tube have a bladder!? That's insanely light for a bladder over skin tube. Must be pretty gossamer... The bladders - are they flat two panel? If so that'd be a piece of cake.

http://www.spartonfly.co.uk/Float_Tu...at_tubing.html

_SHig
    I made contact with this company about replacement bladders for my Wood River tubes. At that time(last year?)they didn't have any in stock, but they would contact me when they did. No contact, and I never followed up. The cost for the bladders was up there, but the Wood River float tubes are great tubes.

briansII

Default Nothing wrong with my Woodriver BUT...

BTW, what went so wrong that you can't simply repair your bladder?

_SHig
    you never know. I love my Woodriver to death. If the bladders should ever fail, I'd feel better knowing there's an replacement available.

The Gliderider I have is a two-piece bladder configuration. One for the V-tube, and one for the backrest. I have looked into the UK dealer, but it's $$$ and I'd need to cut two more holes in the cordura fabric to accommodate the extra valves...

Best regards,
    albchen

Ah, I see... The UK guy upgraded to 3 bladder coated fabric version.

Now you guys have a "local guy" who can put together a similar solution (single bladder is easiest since I don't have the triple pattern) if needed. Consider your tubes' lives extended.

_SHig

Ah, I see... The UK guy upgraded to 3 bladder coated fabric version.

Now you guys have a "local guy" who can put together a similar solution (single bladder is easiest since I don't have the triple pattern) if needed. Consider your tubes' lives extended.

_SHig
    Very nice of you. I don't _need_ a bladder, but having a spare is what I'm looking for. I can send you the bladder, if you'd like to experiment.

briansII

I like the 3 bladder set up for safety if you holed one, but I've wondered if there would be any "hinging" effect with them?

Quote Originally Posted by briansII View Post
    Very nice of you. I don't _need_ a bladder, but having a spare is what I'm looking for. I can send you the bladder, if you'd like to experiment.

briansII
    Sure, I'd be happy to take a look and see what it'd take to make one... Shoot me a PM and I can send you my addy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneedeep View Post
    I like the 3 bladder set up for safety if you holed one, but I've wondered if there would be any "hinging" effect with them?
    No hinging, pressure's pressure - just as long as there's enough "slack" to allow the bladder to fill all the volume inside the skin. If it can pull the skin tight, you're golden.

_SHig