Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: SHig's Superlight Packin'tube Project

Shig this is an awesome project. I appreciate your detailed posts with pics. You have a real creative talent!
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Quote Originally Posted by k.hanley View Post
    Shig this is an awesome project. I appreciate your detailed posts with pics. You have a real creative talent!
    Cheers, Ken
    Thanks man! Since I don't often get a chance to do any "real" engineering at work, I gotta do it for fun. Also, I use the forum post like a notebook/scrapbook.

_SHig

Another update for today:

So as I mentioned before, the floor/seat came out a bit too long - I'd be afraid that if someone were to sit up close to the front the boat would go tail up and you may feel like you were sliding out of the saddle. I intentionally made the first ridge larger to keep you in place, but the 'toons didn't feel long enough out front to steady the boat.

SO... I took 4" out of the seatbottom. That worked out to be the distance between baffles so no re-engineering at this point, just cut out the sliver and re-tape.

Photo essay below:

So, I think the proportions and balance are MUCH improved. Because the floor is shorter there will be less room for stuff behind you, but when you're high-lakes fishing you really don't take a lot of stuff anyway right? Also, that's what the UL drybag will be for - lunch, jacket, spare reel, etc.

Now, once I get the patterns and manufacturing jigs needed to make this, it wouldn't be too tough to scale out the pontoon lengths and stretch the seat, put a footrest crossbar in, and add oars? Or weld two of these front to front and make a mini-Watermaster. Just use a heavier grade of fabric and it'd be river-ready!

Too much fun...

_SHig

Your system for keeping the butt from sliding off the seat is true genius.

How does that work with waders though?

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Seriously cool stuff, Scott. Thanks for sharing all of the details and photos of the trial runs, it really shows the scope of this endeavor. I've never tried too hard to get a float tube into the backcountry, but at <3 lbs. I may have to rethink this position!

You know it still needs a rack to hold a net and atleast one rod. But other than that it looks really good.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    You know it still needs a rack to hold a net and atleast one rod. But other than that it looks really good.
    The net can float beside or sit on the deck behind you, the rod is in your hand nerd! I imagine one spare rod along one pontoon straight back held on by a couple of velcro strips. Just don't back into anything!

Dropping the fabric order this week and hope to start refining the construction techniques next. Should be ready by Christmas for all the good boys and girls!

_SHig

This is a brilliant build SHig! I can just picture you pullin up to the lake and whippin this baby out of your pack. Kinda like pulling a rabbit out of a hat!

If this pans out well, I would seriously consider buying one from you. Tho this may be strictly a small mans toy

Its supposed to be big guy friendly. I already asked. I'm 230lbs and he said I should be good.