Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: SHig's Superlight Packin'tube Project

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    I bet the cat walked across everyone's tube during manufacturing, but it was only when it was walking on your tube's fabric that something scared the cat, hence the deployed claws.
    I scared it on purpose. How else am I supposed to keep up with Scott's fishing. Gotta have some sort of handicap to keep him occupied...

In all seriousness, his tubes are fine AFAIK. Passed the 24 hour pressure static with no problems! Jokes, I got jokes...

_SHig

My kids could not stop laughing at that cat zipping in and out of the picture. The method to inflate the tube is very cool.

My _SHig float tube arrived sometime yesterday. I just saw the box on the front porch a little while ago. I couldn't be more pleased. My Outcast Trinity that I've been lugging around for the past 7+ years weighed 8lbs 10.3oz including the sea to summit stuff sacks I put it in and including my backpacking fins. _SHig's complete set as it arrived from him including his fins, repair kit, inflator & carry bag only weighs 2lbs 6.7oz per my scale. That's a savings of 6lb 3.6oz. For a guy who likes to hike to remote lakes, that is a huge weight savings. Awesome. Thanks _SHig

Glad you got it okay!

Can't wait to hear about the maiden voyage.

_SHig

I took my SHig float tube out for a test run last weekend. I can only compare
    it to my Outcast Trinity. I hiked 2 miles into a lake with it and his fins in
    my backpack. SHig's float tube and fins are over 6lbs lighter than the
    Trinity with the Creek Company hard plastic fins. Plus Shig's float tube
    rolls up to about the size of a nalgene bottle. Set up was a breeze, it only
    took a few minutes to inflate with his included air bag plus a few puffs of
    breath. One downside I found was Shig's lacks a backrest but I knew that
    going in. That was easily solved by placing a dry bag with additional layers
    and gloves behind me. It was going to get much colder before I would get off
    the water so I brought those items along to eliminate kicking back to shore.
    I was on the water for over 10 hours for 1 1/2 days and the dry bag worked
    fine. Backrest problem solved. Shig's float tube is quite large and stable.
    It glides across the water. My biggest surprise was the effectiveness of his
    fins. I've been underwhelmed with my Force Fins, Omega Flip fins, etc. I was
    skeptical when I first saw SHig's given how lightweight they are but they
    really shine on the water. I put a pair of neoprene booties on over my wader
    booties and my feet slipped right into his. On the water the fabric portion
    of his fins act like water scoops and move quite a bit of water. Those things
    felt like I had nothing on my feet, are very comfortable and really scooted
    the float tube across the water with minimal effort. I would say they were
    some of the best float tube fins I've ever used. Two thumbs up on his fins.
    Another issue I thought about was the durability of the fabric material on
    the tube. My Trinity has taken a lot of rough handling. With Shig's one
    should be a little more careful which isn't hard to do. Overall I am very
    pleased with his creation. If you are looking for a lightweight backpack
    option for float tubing, his float tube & fins are the way to go. Thanks again
    SHig!

Just came across this yesterday:

Looks like there are other like minded individuals out there looking to fill the backpacking float tuber niche.

I also know a lot of guys who loved the old Wood River tubes, and these guys will sell you just the bladder in case yours is dead.

Just under 4 pounds and pretty compact it may be the right boat for someone. The bag on bladder construction is definitely more durable than my tube but it's more than twice as heavy as well.

I'd be curious to see what a stripped down version without backrest or pockets or apron would weigh. The major disadvantage for me is the sling seat. I'm spoiled for the high perch that an inflated seat affords me.

http://www.wildernesslitefloattubes.com/index.html

_SHig
    Last edited by SHigSpeed; 01-04-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Very fascinating!!!!

Shig, I think your post may have the most pages linked to a thread ! You are a talented man , happy new year!

So, it's been a while since an update. I've been itching to get out again and had plans for an opening day escape but the late season snow storm put the kibosh on that.

I had a shot to get out this weekend, and even though there was a forecast for wind, I wasn't going to be denied again.

Scott V. and I packed our gear and made it to the trailhead just after sunrise. The three mile hike in was pretty uneventful and there was hardly a hint of a breeze.

We dropped our packs and the lake. Wind, I don't see any wind!

Well, unfortunately the fishing wasn't spectacular but we did each get one. Oh, and that wind? It did show up eventually...

You can see the other guys on shore in the photo above that showed up later contemplating shoving off in the gale. Turns out the wind was gusting to 40(!!) mph.

What I learned:

- The "bag of rocks" anchor works, kinda. My bag had to be chock full, and it still dragged on the mud bottom.
    - Wind and ultralight float tubes are NOT friends! I about lost the boat to the lake and JUST managed to grab it before it flew away. Even holding it by the handle it took off spinning like a kite and I managed to tear the strap.
    - You get a smug sense of superiority when you seen guys and their giant gear piles watching as your little backpack swallows your boat.
    - My fins work damn well in the blow. The last time Scott and I fished a drive up lake I just about died kicking upwind using my Force fins while Scott was sporting the ultralights and laughing in the face of the breeze. This time even though the wind was probably worse, I never felt outgunned.

Anyway, not much really new to report as far as tube design is concerned. I've managed to use up my first full roll of fabric and I'm looking into getting another. I've updated the fins a bit in light of some reliability issues. And I'm considering building waders as that's the last bit of the kit that's not available off the shelf.

Can't wait to get back out...

_SHig

Went out for a Bass/Panfish trip a couple weeks ago, and while I didn't take my SHIG tube with me (trout are one thing, but I just can't see using it for these species as spiny as they are....) I DID give the fins a whirl... and they were a resounding success !

Just like everyone else, I looked at my SHIG Fins when I got them and thought "..there's no way they will be functional.." BOY was THAT wrong.... I've used "flip fins" for the past 20yrs, & while bomb-proof - they've seen just about every condition one could expect, SHIG Fins are about 1/2 the weight - and work as good if not better.

These things disappear on your feet, you can hardly feel them! They are extremely functional too. Like others have said, the fabric "fin" is like a scoop and they really scoot you along, without causing strain or fatigue to your legs and feet. I used them in a local bass pond, with about 15kts of steady wind, with gusts in the 20's and it wasn't really an issue.

I can hardly wait to get out with the whole kit at some trout lakes I've been wanting to visit with a tube!
    Resounding two thumbs up SHIG!

best-
    Bob V