Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: SHig's Superlight Packin'tube Project

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy (Dave) View Post
    Man! As if the saga of the pack tube wasn't interesting enough, your pump was inspired genius! Mac Guyver has got NOTHING on you!
    Wish I could take full credit for the pump... Del Canty's tube from the 80's came with a silnylon bag with a nozzle built in to inflate his tubes. The "problem" is that it weighs nearly half a pound and you have to overcome the flapper in the valve to inflate the boat. Also, the silnylon and the seams aren't fully airtight so you lose a good percentage of your captured air.

With my system, I built a flapper-pusher into the nozzle so I have zero resistance inflation. Add to this the HDPE trashcan liner is airtight and stooopid light so there's hardly any weight penalty. Plus, in a pinch you can use it as a poncho or a tarp. Hell, take a spare!

_SHig

Okay, I think it's ready for the pool or pond!

I trimmed the extra fabric and I'm flabbergasted by how much weight and bulk I was able to lose!

WELL under the magic 2 pound barrier! The lunker high mountain trout will weigh more than the boat!

And check out the tidy package!!

This'll hardly take up any space in a pack. Stoked...

Details...

Valve leashes:

Spread limiter (and what you might want to stake the boat down with - it'll fly away at the lightest of breezes!):

And the cockpit!:

One thing I noticed that just in the few minutes I was outside taking these photos the boat got very "ping tight"! Rang like a drum. Must be careful to monitor the pressure... Wish there was an easy and light blowoff valve, but I did the calcs and it should be able to take any sun heating pressure increase easily. Still, you can understand my trepidation...

Freaking awesome Shig, you the man. So when are you going to go fishing?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I went down to my local "pond" to test out the new boat. I did my best to try to fall out and I failed. I inflated it on shore then hopped in and it immediately tempered - lost pressure due to cooling down. In this less than tight state it was a bit wobbly with how high I sit. Felt a bit like balancing on a ball side to side. Front to back was fine. A quick few breaths to tighten the skin and back in the drink.

MUCH better. Definitely not as solid feeling as my Fish Cat but that's to be expected because of the way the seat is attached to the "U". It does allow some roll, but I think it won't be hard to get used to. Feels kinda like sitting in a canoe or kayak, especially at first when the pressure dropped. Still, no risk of actually barrel rolling.

I'm WAY out of the water - probably A good 3", pretty much what I had designed for. I can make do with pants waders, no chest waders required.

Anyway, photos:

I made some fly casting motions while I was at it and it was a no-drama affair - not that I had expected any.

I'll have to take my gear next time I hit the "pond".

_SHig

Excellent!
    Perhaps give it a float in "less than calm" waters to see stability in some "chop" next?
    It's looking great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneedeep View Post
    Excellent!
    Perhaps give it a float in "less than calm" waters to see stability in some "chop" next?
    It's looking great.
    I forgot to add..please put me on the "list" of interested buyers.

Put me down as well, that thing could be a game changer!
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Standing applause

fantastic shig! Unreal how tiny that thing packs up. you may have to dig around in your pack just to find it! lol. What fins are going to accompany your featherweight package? You may reconsider the pants waders. It wouldnt take much of a chop to get the splashing going. That high mtn lake water would be a real eye opener running down the back of yer britches. :O

More standing applause.....