Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: SHig's Superlight Packin'tube Project

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Wow Shig, a senior member.

I'll meet you at Denny's for the early bird special.

Ed
    Make it Sizzler and it's a deal! :P

_SHig

I knew bulletproof was possible.

Quickie-small update:

D-ring attachment went smooth as could have been expected. The design as drawn up worked perfectly.

Few pics:

Whenever possible, I'll be attaching D-rings to the equitorial seam for simplicity and minimized holes in the main bladder fabric that may leak, but when I need to place a ring in an open area, this'll do fine. For the production pieces I'll hot cut the fabric to prevent the fraying you see here. Of course careful application of heat after assembly will clean up any fliers if the fuzzies appear in time.

Seems like I can put a lot of force (more than I'd want to put on any D-ring) on it straight out from the tube and flat to the tube. Of course stressing it sideways would put some serious stress on the corner of the bond edge and not be ideal...

Certainly enough for a rod rack, stripping apron, net leash, 6-pack, or pack straps.

I don't suspect anyone will be using these to tow the tube up on plane and play crack the whip though...

_SHig
    Last edited by SHigSpeed; 12-09-2010 at 10:18 PM.

i think you just found your next stress test. get that baby behind a boat find yourself a test dummy and get to whipping.

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    6-pack,
    Now I know your motivation for building a feather-lite. MORE BEER!

Quote Originally Posted by joshfish View Post
    i think you just found your next stress test. get that baby behind a boat find yourself a test dummy and get to whipping.
    I'd do it, I use to love being pulled by a boat in a tube in every crazy direction. My brother got real good at being able to toss you off a tube being pulled by a boat.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default "tow testing" on Folsom Lake?

I've got the boat.

And since that tube doesn't weigh much, we can pack an audience of at least 6 (8 if some of you are skinny) into my dad's 20' North River (including both a videographer and a still photographer, I would hope) and expect to quickly get up on plane with Scott V. in the tube.

I've spent the last two summers playing crack the whip with my teenage daughters and their friends riding on various inflatables behind the boat, so I'm ready if Scott is. I've even got a "shortie" wet suit for him so we don't have to wait for June. (Folsom Lake surface temp was 57 degrees last week.) It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to test to the destruction of the tube or Scott, which ever comes first.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Well Shig, there you go: as an engineer, you know there's no substitute for test validation and you have been graciously offered free use of otherwise expensive test equipment (Mike's boat), a suitable test environment (Folsom Lake), and an expendable test subject (Scott). Now all you need is a decent videographer so we can all help you observe and interpret the test results.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    Well Shig, there you go: as an engineer, you know there's no substitute for test validation and you have been graciously offered free use of otherwise expensive test equipment (Mike's boat), a suitable test environment (Folsom Lake), and an expendable test subject (Scott). Now all you need is a decent videographer so we can all help you observe and interpret the test results.
    Thats easy! Jay M's gopro, strapped to Scotts crash helmet. Lets do this thing!!! lol

Lightbulb Hmmmmmmm

Okay everyone, this sounds like a great test plan. However, on the side of reality......I forsee us in slight amount of disappointment after a little bit of slack get's in the line and those d-rings get tugged beyond their threshold by repetitive jerking. Perhaps SV will get moving but after some waves put some slack in the line and then it goes tight again, I believe that would be it. However, doing the test is quite intriguing nevertheless.