Thread: SHig's Superlight Packin'tube Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just thinking out loud here...

One method I'm considering here is as follows (and I'll test it out tonight):

As you can see from the photos above, I'm using a two layer panel at the valve hole. I'll try actually sandwiching the valve (after cutting the cap loose) between the two layers of fabric, heat sealing the fabric to both sides of the valve flange, then putting a bead of glue around the inside "just in case". I'm guessing that even though the bond between the heat seal glue and the PVC valve isn't perfect, with all of the surface area plus the extra glue to keep it airtight, that it won't leak and should be pretty darned robust.

Don't have time now, but I can't wait to try this one out!

_SHig

Dammit! I just tried to kill myself! <lol> I was playing around with hot cutting the hole in the fabric using a piece of steel tube ground to the right diameter and heated on the stove:

Well, I got it good and hot and was playing around a bit and I guess I must've huffed some plastic because it was bad news time! Talk about wheezing and hacking up yuck... I do a fair bit of welding and when I do I generally wear a fine particle mask to prevent "welder's flu", but next time I'm going to wear my full chemical respirator for sure! Let that be a lesson to you kiddies at home...

While this was bad, it wasn't quite as bad as when I huffed PVC fumes while trying to use a soldering iron to weld a pool floatie. I considered sucking on my oxygen torch and stealing the kid's inhaler to keep from perishing that time!

Okay, now that I'm breathing a little easier, it's off to see "Tangled" with the family. They tell me it's a flyfishing movie but I have my doubts... I had to send them off before me so I could recover!

heh...

_SHig